Is my PSU enough for a 9600GT?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by cypris, Apr 26, 2008.

1. cypris

cypris Newbie

My current GeForce7300 has been showing symptoms of dying:
    Pixel artifacts, any video or 3D playback will result in the system crashing.

Thinking of getting a 9600GT but am worried if my CoolerMaster 450W PSU will not supply enough juice. It list 18A and 16A respectively on the 12V rails but these are rated at maximum/peak. While continuous is only 12A & 10A.

The thing is...I have 5 hard drives... AMD x2 4200 and 4 sticks of RAM, soundcard and a DVDRW currently.

Do I trust the peak figures or continuous figures of the PSU 12V rails? or...dare I say it? get a higher capacity PSU? >_< (nuuU!)

er.. help? :faint:

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

3. miahman

miahman Newbie

i did see a new PSU.

it was corsair tx750W (it was made to go with SLi ready stuff) might wanna check it out

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

you are good to go!

1 person likes this.
  5. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

That sounds like a quote from the movie Contact.:rolleyes: :lol:

YouTube - Contact Intro

1 person likes this.
  6. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

since its impossible to having 5 hdd + optical drive + ram + cpu + gfx to be running its full power @ the same time.. 450w shld be more than enough..

ram's power consumption is negligible (<20W)

9600gt eats around 65W

7. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm but then it depends on which type of CM 450W psu it is. The Extreme Power or the Real Power?

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

More than enough. :mrgreen:

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Ditto! :mrgreen:

10. slugbug

slugbug Newbie

With the influx of bigger and more powerful psu's on the market, some people think that they actually need all that power. The truth is 450-500w is more than enough for most peoples needs.

11. cypris

cypris Newbie

Extreme Power

12. cypris

cypris Newbie

Ok looks like most of you says it's ok with my current PSU, guess I'll be posting in New Toy Bragging Corner soon haha! :haha:

13. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

do get the palit version with a biggie cooler that look like a box to brag :thumb:

14. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Lol, just try it..No harm..If it won't work or not stable..Just hook up another cheap psu just to power some other stuff XD....

15. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Well mine has a dual slot cooler as well and works great ;)

16. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

you are using gainward? GS or no GS version? GS version is shweet..the cooler is really nice :thumb:

17. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

what's the big diff between CM's Real Power & the old Extreme Power?

18. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm CM Real Power=Cost more and usually are true power psu. While Extreme Power are not and far more cheaper. Correct me if i'm wrong :mad:

19. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Its the Bliss 512 not GS but works great. O/Ced it to 700 / 1800 / 1000 messing around not a single artifact on 3DMark6. After that just running it stock haven't needed to O/C it :D

20. rogue_tomato

rogue_tomato Newbie

I will also chime in here and say that you should be just fine with your current PSU ;)