is pcie slot reinforcement necessary

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ngomaichi, Aug 1, 2016.

1. ngomaichi

ngomaichi Newbie

Hi
    I recently wanted to buy some parts for a pc but now I have a problem with motherboards.(bike racing games free download)
    I once heard that a heavy gpu can bend the pcie slot , and I was wondering if that was something I should worry about .
    I want an H170 motherboard , and there is only gigabyte gaming version that has reinforced pcie slots (and the msi ones , that have extra anchor points)
    But some people say that msi bios is not good and I should avoid msi and some articles say that killer chip is inferior to intels chip and causes issues (the gigabyte has killer e2200)
    So which one should I really get?

and another question that I have is , is 500w enough for rx480 and i5 6500 ?
    thanks in advance

See more: Free Car Racing Games Download For Mobile - Top Best 100+
    Ringtones Free Download, Free Ringtones Downloads for Mobile

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

I would not worry about the heavy gpu thing to much. And I'd use a 600 watt psu with an Asus Intel based motherboard. But that's just me.:)

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

IMO, the anchor point is just a marketing gimmick. I have never heard of PCI slot breakage before. RX480 is not exactly heavy weight with only the cooler hanging at the end of the card.

500W is more than enough for your setup. RX480 consume about 150W at peak, another 80W max for the CPU. Even a 400W PSU would have been sufficient. Get a Seasonic PSU.

Is there a reason why you are choosing a gaming motherboard? How about GA-H170-D3HP?