Is Pure Acetone : The Miracle Fuel Boosting Additive?

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

There have been many reports of people using pure acetone to greatly improve their car's mileage. Apparently, doping petrol with a small amount of PURE acetone increases its vapourization and allows for a more complete combustion and/or lower fuel-air ratio.

However, only pure acetone should be used... and it has been said that acetone can destroy rubber parts in the fuel system, and possibly damage the car engine. However, there are articles disputing this. :think:

Anyone with any experience with using pure acetone to dope petrol? :think:

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

lol. If it wasn't meant to be there, don't put it in there. :o

Running your engine too lean could possibly impair its reliability (let the ESC handle that, no need for your intervention). If anything, I think i'd just clean your internals. Which is no big problem with modern engines. If you really wanted to, you could do the old 'Italian tune up'. :lol:

My few cents.

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I afraid putting other stuff in the car engine might actually ruin it.

But having the Gasohol car (using ethanol as petrol) is a very cool idea. Even best, if someone can make petrol out of rubbish, it'll be even better. Waste into gold.

Just like the Back to the Future's car. That mad scientist put whatever inside his engine. :mrgreen:

4. Adrian Wong

LOL! That's the thing.. I didn't think anything of it, until I saw a few reports on it. No idea if it's true or not though. :think:

5. Adrian Wong

Well, gasohol is also petrol with additive (alcohol)! :haha:

But TBH, I don't think such petrols are as environmentally-friendly as they make it out to be. From the reports I've read, diverting food crops to the production of bio-fuels will increase both the amount of greenhouse gases and the cost of food.

6. dceremuga

dceremuga Newbie

Actually, in the right ratio, Acetone added to fuel will improve mileage in SOME cars. If I put 6oz to 14 gallons of fuel into my 1998 Buick Park Avenue I gain on averge about 3mpg city, which is substantial.

On my wife's car, she actually loses mileage. It matters on the car and the ratio. I wouldn't worry about the fact that it is acetone, the ratio is so small that it has very little affect on automotive components in the fuel system.

It does help to clean the inside of your system, but I recommend a professional cleaning that is done through a auto repair/oil change shop that injects the cleaner right into the system and cleans for about 20 minutes.

:beer:

7. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Now, that is interesting - acetone works in one car, but not another. :think:

I guess the only way to be sure is to test it on your own car. The only thing I'm worried about are the reports that the acetone will eat away at rubber linings in the fuel feed system, and may even damage the engine. :think:

8. dceremuga

dceremuga Newbie

I've thought about that issue myself. I tried soaking different rubber parts from gas that is mixed with acetone with the proper ratio. No damage what so ever when it sits for about a week. In fact, I didn't even see much in the form of cleaning. The ratio is so low. We are talking about about a teaspoon per gallon of gas.

It does however lower the ignition point of the gas and adds power to the vehicle. I quit doing it all together because I found it hard to find the right ratio and the mileage varied too much to take the chance.

Wish I could just go buy a Prius!

9. Adrian Wong

Haha.. Me too! Would love to get a Prius. :D

Hmm.. Tough to store it properly too. Would melt plastic syringes and containers. :think:

10. ianho

ianho Newbie

The best tech is the engine that runs on waste oil that's used to make french fries. That's just awesome. I saw it on TV last time. The guy collects used cooking oil from the local fast food restaurants for free and just pours it right in to his car. He sed it even emits a nice smell like french fries being cooked. LOL!

11. Adrian Wong

Oh yeah, that would be really good. Fuel based on used vegetable oil. :thumb:

12. plasma

plasma Newbie

You're right, there's tonnes of report on it and even more people testing it out.
    Unfortunately, this sounds so oddly familiar... I remember there used to be certain fuel additives that achieve similar effects, some improvement in mileage but kills the engine slowly.

It's a tradeoff, you push it one way, something else's gotta give.