Is the HTC touch HD worth its' price??!!

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by wardancer, Feb 3, 2009.

1. wardancer

wardancer Newbie

Does anyone here have the HTC touch HD?? I thought of getting one but can't figure out if it's really worth it's hefty price tag of 3k+

Got this from a review....

"Video playback had mixed results. We had high hopes for the Touch HD’s 480 x 800 display, and indeed it’s richly colored, bright and shows decent, if a little murky, black levels. Playback of 720p high-definition WMV files proved a literal non-starter; we then tried a 1000kbps, 25fps, 768 x 576 WMV file, the audio of which was no problem but the picture stuttered. A 650kbps, 29fps, 320 x 240 video played with no problems at all, but a 740kbps 640 x 480 file suffered jerky video. Scaled down to 545kbps 640 x 480 the video was reasonable"

Can somebody explain it any simpler??!!:shifty:

2. wardancer

wardancer Newbie

I was also wondering the difference of the touch HD and the touch 3d in terms of its functionality . Pricewise , i understand they're not much different. However , i'd sure loved to have a touch hd with the keypad ......sadly it doesn't have one...

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't really like the current generations of HTC products.

HTC Touch HD is far too expensive. Sony Xperia X1 is very good on paper, matching and eclipsing Touch HD in almost every way, except the built quality.

Touch 3G is a decent phone, should be a lot cheaper than Touch HD, but like you said, no keypad.

I will most likely not get a phone without keypad/keyboard especially if you SMS a lot.

I think Nokia E71 is currently one of the best phone. Built quality is excellent, feature packed, and it's quite affordable. Touch screen is nice, but not really practical.

4. wardancer

wardancer Newbie

The touch 3g does have a keypad but not the touch hd..... n' also as far as i know , there's just a price difference of a couple of hundreds between the 3G and HD.....
    Another thing is.... the selling point is the high resolution screen....but it stutters on high def media??

5. Chai

I don't think Touch 3G has keypad, unless you are refering to a different model.

Touch HD won't handle video well due to weak processor. It has been the case for almost all HTC devices for the past few years. It only get worse with higher res display (demands even more processing speed). It's great for web surfing though. But I know most people won't surf on a tiny screen. But I do it all the time.

If you watch video frequently, don't even consider HTC. They suck.

You may want to consider phones like Nokia 5800 or iPhone.

6. wardancer

wardancer Newbie

i got it wrong....it's the touch pro that i meant....that's the one with keypads.....n' it's just slightly cheaper then the hd....
    So basically , despite the great resolution ,u can't use the best of it for video? then what's all that great res for??

7. Chai

Web surfing? Pictures?

I hardly use it to watch video on my TyTN2. Web surfing using WLAN gets the heaviest use.

Touch Pro is not bad, I love full QWERTY keyboard but built quality is average. Resolution is not bad, better than iPhone, but not as good as Touch HD or Xperia X1. Why don't you consider Xperia X1, since it's basically Touch HD + Touch Pro, about the price of Touch Pro?

8. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

I don't quite like X1 due to the Screen size when it's on candy bar phone..keyboard seems small and hard to press (compare to TyTnII)I would get a Touch Pro instead though :D

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

10. Chai

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Honestly, I find videos on phones to be rather pointless. :think:

If you want to have video on the go, get something like the new iPod with video playback, or one of the many equivalents from Creative, etc. They have larger screens, larger capacity and better battery life.

I rather have my phone dedicated to nothing but calls and SMS. Trying to squeeze too many features into a phone will turn it into a really expensive device that can do many things but all of it poorly.

12. Chai

I think Touch HD has bigger 3.8" screen than both iPhone and Creative's offering, unless I'm very much mistaken.

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah I don't really see the point of video (apart from Youtube et al) on a PDA phone. Though the chipset of that Toshiba phone seems interesting. :o

14. Chai

Yeah, I watch Youtube on my phone too. That's the only video I watch.

15. Adrian Wong

Oh, I'm talking about phones and video players in general. There will always be one or two exceptions. For example, the Samsung F500?

Even if the phone has a larger screen, there are always the other issues of battery life, size, weight and more importantly, interference with other functions. With a dedicated phone, I can text or talk on the phone while watching videos or pictures, for example.

16. Chai

Honestly, I don't know how can you talk on the phone while watching video or listen to music.

This is why all-in-one devices are so popular because, when there's a call, everything is paused until you finish the conversation. In fact, I love all my entertainments in my phone, instead of separating them into different devices for this reason alone.

Imagine when a call comes in, I have to pause the music/video on a media device, then pick up the phone. PITA.

Size and weight is definitely far superior to having 2 separate devices. Battery life is still arguable, but I get very acceptable battery life on my TyTN2. I can surf net for hours on my phone.

17. Adrian Wong

LOL! That was just an example but normally, I do not pause the TV or video when I'm on the phone. I can always seek back to the scene later.

Another example... I can use the phone while someone else watches a video / photo on the iPod. You can't do that with a convergent device.

Similarly, most convergent devices have to sacrifice some space for the keypad. Media players do not. Even if the phone has a large screen with a virtual keypad instead, the virtual keypad isn't as easy to use as a real keypad.

Of course, convergent devices are convenient. You just carry one instead of 2-3 devices. But if I do not intend to use my media player, I can leave it at home.. and carry a much lighter and thinner phone instead.

There are pros and cons to everything IMHO. It really depends on what you are looking for. It's just that convergent devices are not for me. Even though my Dopod smartphone can record videos, pictures, etc, 99.9% of the time, I just use it to call and send text messages. I might as well be using a cheap mobile phone! :haha: :haha:

18. Chai

Why do you want to share a portable media player? Most of you are already complaining its small screen size, and you still want to share it?

So you actually enjoying seeking back what ever that you missed out, instead of just continue the video immediately after you end the call?

Your Dopod is not what I call a PMP. Screen is too small, and it's not powerful enough to playback video. So it's limited to simple PDA and phone function, something many phones can do these days, but a bit more powerful. It's easy to understand why you will never appreciate such devices:
    1. You don't use public transport.
    2. You are such a busy man, you probably spend your time working on the go instead of watching video or listening to music.

Instead of harping on these convergent devices, why not look at its advantages, and the amount of people who bought it. Obviously, the majority doesn't agree with your opinion, and you don't have real experience using it.

Since wardancer is interested in such devices, it's really up to him to decide whether it suits him or not. We are here to help him to decide, not telling what you don't like to do.

19. Adrian Wong

Not share together. Separate devices can be enjoyed separately. :mrgreen: :haha:

Oh, well, I just don't bother waiting to pause the video first. I just pick up the call.

Yeah, the Dopod is not a PMP. But it has many functions that I do not even make use of. My point is that the choice of phone depends on the user.

Yeah, I think he's into such devices. I'm just pointing out that even I fall to the seduction of buying devices for superb capabilities that I end up not even using! :haha:

20. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Hmm, while i only watch youtube videos and some music videos on my phone :3 Getting the Touch HD really depends on the user usage...heck, might be getting another phone if this phone i'm using is giving me issue again -_-"