Is there such a software?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by zicovsky, Feb 15, 2007.

1. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

Hey all,

I'm wondering, I have a lot of mp3 at home that I would like to listen here at work, is there a software that I can install at home, make a playlist of all the songs there and then install it here at my work and listen to the songs through streaming or something? any software similar to that, so that I can listen to the musics I have home from work :rolleyes:

ps: i have an ipod, but it stays with my brother.. :p

2. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

why dun u juz load all ur mp3 into ur workstation pc/notebook?

3. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

cause that's illegal :/

if they get me doing that i can be fired.. and there's softwares that monitors files on the pc too..

4. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

Remote desktop seems like a decent idea, although a solution in VPNing your desktop seems much smarter. In theory you could use VPN to tunnel your way into your home network and run files off your network folder (it'll just be like network neighbourhood lol). The more costly but easiest option could be to use the SlingTV device which many say is simple and easy to use, but like all shinny things, you'll have to pay for it.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That's what I have been doing. :D But I still prefer remote desktop.

6. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

7. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

Remote desktop is nice, but the problem is that it takes up bandwidth, processing power and precious latency because it has to fetch an image from the frame buffer. Literally it takes more power to make you feel like you're accessing your PC rather than just abstract the commands over the network like with pure VPN.

I'm a performance geek lol, and that's why i still use Telnet for my router configs.

8. hyper_raider

Telnet is bad! walk away from the darkside

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

There are so many things I could do with Remote Desktop, but not VPN. That's why I never use the VPN.

VPN is only good for things like file transfer, connecting to office environment which requires connection to office apps, that's why VPN is only useful for work, not for home use.

I use remote desktop so I could use my IM, browse pr0n site, check my torrent downloads, check my MS Outlook without my boss knowing. :p

10. hyper_raider

anyway back to the topic which is streaming music

11. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

damn, i thought there was a software that could do this..

like, install at my pc at home, make my playlist, then install the client here, connect through my ip and just enjoy..

SOMEONE must have thought of this by now.. hehe!

@hyper_raider,

gonna give it a try, pain in the ass to install mysql and what not, but if it works!! :D

12. hyper_raider

If you have any questions or trouble you can hop on to the freenode network and go to #ampache on irc for help

13. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

great, thanks!

14. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

ic... no wonder..

in singapore rite, even if u buy a original music CD n rip it into ur mp3 player, its illegal..

15. hyper_raider

Thats thanks to the digital millenium copyright act. Blame the RIAA for that