It's been a really bad day...

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, exactly. Many of the forumers have not seen how bad she was when she was in the ICU. So they won't be able to tell any difference now.

2. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

True true.. but all is well now.... Anyway, the emergency number for ANY MOBILE service is 112. 999 will NOT work. For 112, even if the local host does not have a signal, its ok, because once 112 is being dialed, the system would use whatever signal available and contact the emergency response line, F.O.C.

Now next is, Maxis... Maxis is full of crap... and I am glad I have ported out from this piece of shit.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Glad to know that now.. but it would only work for the initial call made to the emergency services. The trouble is Maxis' 3G service is TERRIBLE.

My Dopod phone at that time cannot turn off 3G. I needed to use the phone to direct the ambulance to my house but Maxis kept dropping my calls! I actually had to drive back home to use the FIXED LINE to talk to the ambulance driver!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just over 2 years since I posted this thread, my new Apple iPhone 4S has the same problem - it cannot turn off 3G! And guess what - Maxis still has terrible 3G coverage in my area! Okay, not as bad as 2 years ago but still bad for a matured, popular area. I'm only getting 2 bars out of 5!

4. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Whatever it is, now seeing Jenny like normal feels great. That would be one of the most frightening chapter in both your lives but will also be a memoriable one, because of the great struggle you had and you had successfully steer out of it.... Happy for you now, and best wishes..

As for maxis, why you still keep on using maxis when you knows its a whole crap. Follow me, port out. Just for your info... U Mobile pay as you use internet is 5sen per MB and Maxis is 10 sen per "K"b.... Maxis is really trash to the point that I have given it up.....

Many of us are not prepared for emergency scenarios since it might not happen, but when it happens, it will be devastating. For me, I have the policy of having 2 lines with 2 different operators, just in case the other fails me, I still have one more.... and my criteria to choose these operator apart from the customer service would be its reliability in the event of an emergency scenario.... Maxis fails that as I alse experienced frequent drop calls when I am in Pontian speaking with my gf in Ampang.... Think of that.....

I am not too sure if you know about this, to turn of the 3G on your phone, its simple, go to your settings, in your phone settings area you have the network settings.. Go in and you can choose between GSM, UMTS and/or both. Choose GSM only as GSM is 2G and UMTS is 3G. I am not sure it works on an I-phone but at leaast this is what I see in Nokia and Sony Ericsson (Android phone).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  5. Adrian Wong

I know how to turn 3G off but it's not an option for the Dopod 595 and the new iPhone 4S. You can check online... tons of people are asking how to turn off 3G in the iPhone 4S because it just sucks power even when it idles!

Porting is not possible because I'm tied to a contract with Maxis... Plus DiGi's network is actually poorer than Maxis, except in certain areas. I was hoping that their tie-up with Celcom would improve signal quality but apparently not... :(

6. Adrian Wong

I just wanted to update you guys on Jenny's condition.

1. She has physically recovered about 95%, I reckon. She has residual pain in her left leg but she's no longer on any pain medication.

2. She still has some speech and language problems and they are more or less permanent, but the good thing is they are relatively minor.

3. After a wait for almost 1.5 years, we finally managed to convene a medical board to certify that she's fit to work... and she passed it. :)

4. She went back to work last Monday, starting with paperwork in an office in her previous hospital. So far, she's handling it pretty well although it's obviously boring work. LOL!

Overall, she's a long way from the dark days of October 2009. :beer: :beer:

Speaking of that incident... some of you will recall that I complained a lot about how often Maxis dropped my calls while I was trying to guide the ambulance to our house. Well, it's been 2.5 years since and Maxis is STILL dropping my calls, and they are getting worse! Hopeless...

7. Chai

She has recovered so well that we have almost forgotten about her bad day! :thumb:

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Good to hear the good news. :beer:

9. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

So glad she is doing better now. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

10. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Well done! :D

11. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

It is very good news that she is back to work. The recovery will be the fullest. :beer:

12. Adrian Wong

Thanks, guys! :beer:

Yeah, it sort of closes that horrible chapter in our lives. So far, she's coping well. She won't be going into the clinical part for quite a while, but it's a start.

13. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Very good news indeed! As for Maxis, can't you choose another carrier?

14. Chai

Other carriers are equally bad or worse. It has been really geting worse for Maxis. I'm getting tons of missed calls alert, line drop offs in the last few months.

15. Adrian Wong

Et tu??? They claimed it was just my area but they don't have "any planned upgrades" for this year. Basically, they were asking me to just swallow the deal and live with it until next year!

Recently, even their 2G network dropped my calls. It's really getting bad to worse. :wall:

16. Adrian Wong

Chai's right.. The other carriers are equally bad or worse.

I just started on DiGi Mobile Broadband, for example, and guess what.. for the first two weeks, I couldn't even browse a single website properly. I called them up to screw them over and they claimed they were in the midst of "upgrading" their network. Well, it took just over two weeks before their speed was usable.

On another note, I'm on a 2-year contract with Maxis because I'm using an iPhone 4S. So getting out will be expensive. :wall: :wall:

17. Chai

Since I don't have data package, I think I'm on 2G mode as well.

18. Adrian Wong

Oh, don't mistaken 3G with your data plan (or lack thereof). If your phone supports 3G, it will default to 3G mode even with data plan disabled on the phone or on your carrier's side.

That was the problem I had with the Dopod 595 in 2009. I didn't have any data plan then but I was stuck on Maxis' 3G network because the Dopod 595 did not allow me to disable 3G.

19. Chai

Yeah, I know what you mean. I can disable 3G on my phone, not just data connection.

20. Adrian Wong

Eh, FYI, that's okay. You can call up Maxis and have them disable your data connection on their end. I just did that for Jenny two months ago?

I upgraded her to the iPhone 3GS and turned off data, of course. But for some reason, the iPhone 3GS kept turning data back on again. No idea if it's a remote command from Maxis' end, or a default occurrence whenever the phone is rebooted.

Jenny never used data, of course... but still, the act of connecting to the network used some data and that was enough for Maxis to charge me a few hundred bucks. I insisted they refund it to me though.. and instructed them to disable data on their end. That solved the problem - no more data charges even when Jenny's iPhone 3GS turns data back on by itself.