It's been a really bad day...

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

It has been a really bad day today.

The hospital called me early in the morning to get consent for a procedure. Apparently, they discovered she has an infection in her brain, probably caused by the very tube monitoring her intracranial pressure.

They had already started antibiotics but they needed to replace the tube. Nothing much we can do but agree, of course. An infection is always something you dread in the ICU but I guess, a real possibility after days of sedation.

Unfortunately, the EVD (extraventricular drain) replacement procedure resulted in FRESH bleeding at the site of entry and a new clot of about 2.5x2.3 cm in size. As a result, her intracranial pressure went skyhigh and she was in real danger. Her pupils were also fixed and dilated.

They managed to bring her ICP back to normal range within minutes... or so they tell me. And they did an emergency CT scan which showed that while there was a new clot, there was no rebleed of the old one (which was now slightly smaller in size).

It was a really harrowing time, especially since I just arrived home when I received a call to rush back to the hospital. They wanted me at hand in case they needed to do an emergency craniectomy (removal of part of the skull).

I arrived in time to see them wheel her back in from the CT scan. They managed to get her stable again... and she's back on double sedation.

Just went back to check on her tonight. Seems like her ICP is in the normal range, and her pupils have shrunked to 4 mm... and is at least a little sluggish in response. Some promising signs in light of the extremely dire circumstances.

It's been a really tiring, stressful day. Thanks for your support, guys... Things look real bleak, but I hope tomorrow's a brighter day.

PS. God, I sure could use a break. Right about now would be nice. Thanks.

2. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

We pray for the quick and speedy recovery! :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

3. Brian

Brian Newbie

That sounds really bad. I hope you're holding up well, and I hope she pulls through and recovers. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Last thing I want to hear is another death, I've been through way too many this year already.

All the best
    Brian

4. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

:pray: that's all I can do and hope she will recover quickly!

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

6. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

There is always hope. :pray: :pray: :pray:

7. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Heavenly Father, I pray to you in this time of difficultly for Adrian and Jenny that You will always be with this family. That You will heal and recover Jenny. Let the blood clot be away and disappear. For You as promised in the bible is the great healer. With faith, shall Jenny be heal and recover. I pray to you O'Lord, for it is impossible with man but nothing is impossible with You. I leave Jenny in your hands O'Lord. For God is good, God is great. In Jesus name I pray.

8. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

9. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Jenny, wake up!!!:!:

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yet another eventful day. :wall: :wall:

Started at 7 am when I received the dreaded call from the hospital. Maxis 3G crapped out on me again. Luckily, they were smart enough to call Jenny's phone which was GSM-capable only.

Apparently, her intracranial pressure started shooting up after midnight and they decided they needed to do an emergency evacuation of the new blood clot and a decompressive craniectomy (removal of part of the cranium to relieve pressure on the brain).

It was really touch and go at that point because her ICP was persistently around the 28 mmHg level at that point. I immediately shot everyone a message because she could very well die on the table or even before the op at that point. Her mother and sister immediately came from Penang.

Fortunately, she survived the operation. They removed about 60% of the new clot, and the removal of the cranium succeeded in lowering the intracranial pressure. She's now back in the ICU under sedation for another period of cerebral resuscitation.

Thank you, guys for your kind messages of support. She made it past this hurdle, and we really hope this is the end of her unlucky streak. It's going to be a really long haul... and we will have to take it step by step and be thankful for every victory, no matter how small. :pray: :pray:

12. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Good to hear that all went well just now for the emergency operation.

My prayers are for Jenny and you.

13. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

:pray: :pray: :pray:
    All the best.

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wow damn, another new clot...

Thankfully the operation was successful.

15. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Adrian, there is nothing much we could do for you, but we will all pray for her recovery :pray: :pray:

16. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Great to hear that she successfully gone through the surgery, hopefully things would be much better after this, hopefully god gives you the strength needed to go through this hard time.

17. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Let's give more support, hope and more prayers so that she will recover! :pray:

18. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

My prayers with you and Jenny. Jenny... gambatte!!! :pray:

19. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Thank you O'Lord for guiding Jenny pass the critical operation. Lord, I prayed to you that you will continue to be with Adrian and Jenny. Lord please do miracle healing on Jenny, that there will be no more clot and Jenny to be back on speedy recovery. Again O'Lord, we leave Jenny in your almighty hand. May you be Adrian and Jenny strength in this time of need. In Jesus name I pray.

20. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Be strong Adrian!!!:hug:

'Try' to get some rest, and remember to eat.:hug: