Know of any super fast firewall anyone?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by BlueStream, Jun 5, 2005.

1. BlueStream

BlueStream Newbie

I'm currently using Trend Micro PC-Cilin Internet Security 2005 after i made the switch from Norton Internet Security.

The problem is that I've found that when i do certain things that get me > than 1000 connections, any connection that has a timeout of 30 seconds, like the web browser will constantly, well, time-out!

When i disable the firewall i can easily connect.

Anyone noe of any good and very very fast firewall? A linux-iptables kind of firewall perhaps? DENY all, with exceptions...

I don't think my firewall is stateful but it's really very very slow...

TIA

2. DanaG

DanaG Newbie

Well, I use Sygate Personal Firewall. It's free, and unobtrusive once you get past the first allow/deny questions. I had huge troubles with Zonealarm.

I don't know about the speed, because our Charter Cable has been crappy like dial-up -- but worse. ~50% packet loss. We finally fixed the issue (crappy splitters), buth that's another story.

1 person likes this.
  3. Get rid of the software firewall and use a hardware one. Even a Simple linksys router with a NAT firewall is more than enough protection for the power user.

4. streem

streem Newbie

yeah.... get rid of software but to save u money.... try getting panda platinum IS... ive use it b4.... and it performs quite well though.... no prob with the firewall too... n it allows deny n allow options.... but i tot all the firewall do offer such options....

5. zachig

zachig Newbie

Yeah, Windows XP SP2 firewall. :lol:

I used to have the Sygate Firewall (working in parallel with my Kaspersky Anstivirus).

But than i gave up for the Sygate, after installing SP2 and currently i'm using just the Kaspersky AV, and I'm pretty satisfied (no trojans, viruses, spywares, whatsoever).

Of course I'm running as well: Adaware, Spybot S&D and ScanSpyware, every week or so.

6. MooCow

MooCow Newbie

i dont have a firewall. i think the most convenient is just to use a router and scan for adware/spyware every once in a while.

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i dont use a firewall :haha:

anyway .. my home PC relies on the router.. gonna go home & check for spyware & virus :mrgreen: couple of weeks to go .. lets see how my dad can maintain the PC for 3 months :haha:

i avoid using IE because it is easily highjacked if you accidentally click YES . :haha:

8. ESP

ESP Newbie

Is Windows XP's Windows Firewall good? :wave:

9. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

hmm..i have no trouble with Zonealarm, cept for the occasional vsmon service acting up and hogging resources which is promptly fixed by restarting Zonealarm. but i'm gonna give Sygate a try. see if it's to my liking. :mrgreen: reps for ya!

10. BlueStream

BlueStream Newbie

me still trying to set up everything properly too.. haha.. no time to install.. yet...

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I'm using Sygate Personal Firewall. Recommended. It's fast and easy to use. But one thing though... recently... sometimes it shuts off by itself. But I think it's still running in the background. Maybe due to not enough resources or something. :think:

12. BlueStream

BlueStream Newbie

Darn.. Me having trouble getting that darn thing...

13. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

is it cos your in Singapore? I hear the government banned people from downloading mp3s and they are being very strict about it. want me to send it to u instead? ZoneAlarm / Sygate?

14. ESP

ESP Newbie

What's your system spec? :think:

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

A64 2800+
    768MB DDR RAM
    etc... :D

My SAV auto-protect is also not on the system tray now, but the rtvscan.exe is still running. :think:

16. BlueStream

BlueStream Newbie

nah.. no actual ban...
    I'm unstoppable.. wahaha... :p

[edited]
    Doh!!! Reply wrong person.. haha....
    [/edited]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  17. Aion-X

Aion-X Newbie

Not good enough but it's better than nothing. :dance:

1 person likes this.
  18. psycomatis

psycomatis Newbie

i use kasperky firewall and also use ip potimizer change my ip :)

1 person likes this.
  19. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Digging deep...

The word is to use both hardware and software firewall.
    The router, if correctly configured, is excellent at blocking incoming traffic, but you still need a software firewall to block outgoing traffic from malware that's been installed on the computer. And that goes double if you run a network.

Now for something (not) completely different, which is the reason why I dug up this old thread in the first place:
    What about nVidias motherboard firewall (ActiveArmor) included with nForce4?
    I've read that it's a feature, but no reports as to how well it works or how user friendly it is.
    Currently I use SPF, but consider to use something else now that it's not freeware any more. I might pay up and stick to it, but only after weighing in the alternatives.
    I've also ordered a motherboard with the nVidia firewall, so now I'll have to figure out if that's good enough on it's own or if I need a software firewall as well.

Any info would be appreciated.

Edit: Going to the horse's mouth I see that the ActiveArmor should be sufficient, if it works as promised.

Cheers
    Olle

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  20. fyire

fyire Newbie

The BSD IPFW firewall's pretty good. Wont even notice any resources taken up by it. Using that on OS X.