Know of any super fast firewall anyone?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by BlueStream, Jun 5, 2005.

1. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

made the switch to Sygate. much better than ZoneAlarm. been using it ever since. :thumb:

2. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

For software firewalls I recently received a newsletter from Sunbelt software, whose CounterSpy I use, suggesting I buy their Kerio personal firewall 4. Given the PCMag review (dated 2005-09-28) it isn't bad at all, being best in test and beating both Zone Alarm and Sygate.
    At $15 it's not by any means prohibitively expensive either (if the free version doesn't fill my needs), so I might give it a test.

Cheers
    Olle

3. PlaySafe

PlaySafe Guest

Outpost personal firewall olso good meh? very easy to configure for us newbie

4. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I have a Linksys router, with a firewall and then I use Sygate's firewall as well. I have yet to have an attack that was allowed. Lots been blocked! No slowdown because it’s a simple yes/no access restriction.

5. buildcustompc

buildcustompc Newbie

I have NvIDIA firewall on my mobo and when I tried it out it seemed like a good program but I already had zonealarm installed so I'm sticking with that for now. If the NvIdia would work better I would sure like to know!

Will:mrgreen:

6. BlueStream

BlueStream Newbie

Since there was a recent resurrection of a 3 year old thread, thought I'd follow up on this.

AVG is alright with viruses, sucks with everything else, esp spyware and a small number of high-profile trojans.

Comodo Internet Security (formerly Comodo Firewall) is pretty good but is extremely irritating with the number of popups.

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

iptable :mrgreen:

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I'm still using Windows Firewall. :shifty:

9. BlueStream

BlueStream Newbie

Yea... Have sorta switched permanantly to linux about 2 months back... iptables babeh!

@Adrian: lawl.

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Same here. :haha:

11. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I'm using the Kaspersky's Internet Security's onboard firewall too! :D

12. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

not using one, even windows firewall is off :think:

13. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. That is dangerous! :D

14. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

Is that so? Still looking fine now, though. We'll see later :lol:

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't think it's dangerous at all, especially if you are behind a router.

16. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

window's firewall i guess is the "fast" firewall. haha

i am using COMODO's cause it totally free! :) not too bad.

17. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

should be fine. the only threat is internal network .lol

18. BlueStream

BlueStream Newbie

trust me... if you other internally networked family members are not as literate, you WILL need a firewall....

my com was screwed up so bad, I switched entirely to Linux (just over a month back).

by the time i realised how bad it was, hardware started failling on me.

19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I don't run a firewall. :o Just the router has one. None of the machines in the internal network run a firewall.

I make sure everything's up to date on all the PCs and everything is scanned daily (at night). (boy do I love patch Tuesdays hahaha)

Never had a problem of getting infected by another pc over the network ever in the many years I've done this. (and there are 5 laptops and 5 PCs connected to it :lol: - good thing the router is set to reset every week - DD-WRT ftw). Just have to be prudent I guess (especially when it comes to parentals).

20. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

tiny firewall

not sure if it still around