Laptop wifi card questions.

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by 1031982, Mar 18, 2013.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

So I got a hand-me-down laptop. An Acer Aspire 5733Z to be exact.
    It has a Broadcom wifi card, and I want to replace it with an Intel card. Big reason is that I am going to be loading Linux on it, and Intel cards are much easier. Plus, it's a problematic card that says my signal is lower then it is. I take a phone, and I get a good few db better.
    Thing is, I am not sure what card to get that will give me everything I want.
    Right no, the laptop has no Bluetooth. If possible, I would like to get a combo card that had Bluetooth integrated. I would also like to get a wireless N with support for the 5GHz band.
    However, it only has one antenna installed. In addition, I don't wan to spend much. By that, I mean around $10 USD.
    So, if I have to, will drop the Bluetooth and 5GHz band support.
    Most important is that I get a good Intel card that has G.

What Intel PCI-e mini/half-height card would work best for a dual booting Win7/Linux system with only one antenna?

Never mind! Found a Intel Centrino Wireless-N 100 for $5. It's hard to beat that price when the service manual for the laptop says it was tested and verified working as well as it being sported in Linux. :thumb:
    Guess I got a little post happy because I never had to upgrade a laptop's WiFi card before. :nuts: :haha:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL! That's cool! :thumb: