Latency and timing

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Killed By Bugs, Sep 2, 2008.

1. I would like to buy some more memory for my system. What importance does latency and timing have? I would like to have what is best for my computer in regards to playing online multiplayer games. I have a Gateway 506gr, p4, 3.2ghz, 200gb, 7200rpm, ddr(3200), with a Nvidia 7800GT. It is an older system but still serving my needs. I currently have 2 gigs (2-512's and a 1-gig stick). I was contemplating replacing them with 3 one gig sticks but as I shopped I couldn't decide on what to buy because of the different latencies and timing. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

2. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

woah, those ram are hard to get these day...since it's DDR1 right?hmm, if it was me, i get the same brand of rams that you had in ur system...as for the latency and timing..i'm not too sure of it :sweat:

3. Newegg's memory matcher listed quite few that will work. I was just wondering if latency and timing is a factor due to my older rig. DDR dual channel btw. Thanks.

4. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

i doubt it will be a factor but then..if possible get the same timing and latency from the rams in your pc..not to sure bout this ><..someone help this dude :D

5. It would appear that latency and timing will not be a factor in my decision. I researched my motherboard and found it is set for 2.5 volts only. Most of the memory I was looking at with low latency and timing usually start at 2.6 to 2.7 volts. So anything I bought with low latency wouldn't run at full capacity due to the voltage. I think I will just buy the same type I purchased last time and add 2 1 gig sticks. Thanks for the help though!

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

no problem dude..Glad to help ya out...

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Don't worry. The memory has little effect on online multiplayer games.

When you buy memory, you should always buy memory with faster (lower) timings or higher clock speeds for maximum compatibility with the older modules. Just keep them set to the slowest common settings.

You can also tweak the memory modules by using faster timings or clock speed than what they are designed for, but that's like overclocking. You need to know what you are doing. Otherwise, play safe and use the slowest settings.