LED Flashlights

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Trinity, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Hello all. :wave:

I was at the store the other day and I saw these flashlights on sale.

I have wanted to get a LED flash light for a while but they were always so exspensive, Like 35 to 100 usd. :wall:
    So I picked this one up for only $6.50 usd. :shock: :D

Here is their website ; http://www.durapro.com/product.asp?catalog_name=durapro&category_name=more&product_id=10-131

Well my first impression was that all though it was very brite it would not 'throw' a beam much past 20 feet. (Unlike a maglight). But I knew it wasn't gonna that bright. :) Good enough for houseold use. It has five LED's and it shines a color of a very light blue, Not a warm light like a regular flashlight.

My next test... I have heard that since LED's use alot less power that the batteries would last alot longer... Like 2-3 days! :think:

Well I turned it on last Sat. morning, It ran at full brightness for 18 hours! :shock: And now four days later it is still going!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: On 3 aa batteries! :shock:

My brother liked it so much he went and got one for himself.

The one on the left is his with new batteries, Mine on the right still going after 4 days! :D :shock: And these are just regular batteries not alkaline, I bet aklaline batteries would last even longer.

So anyone have one yet? I approve of them! :thumb:

Trin.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  2. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

going to get one soon, is a must for ppl that like to go camping :mrgreen:

$6.50, not expensive :thumb:

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

my college someone/nobody (their stupid nicks) are doing bulk order :p
    9led RM25 ~ $6.90USD
    12led RM30 ~ $8.30
    16led RM35 ~ $9.70

:p

4. Trinity

I guess the worst problem with this flashlight is that if it drops to the ground with all it's durability, The lens is wide open to damage. :think:

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow! The battery life is incredible! :shock:

I wonder what's the battery life and brightness of the 16 LED model. :think:

6. Trinity

:roll:

Still going!

Day five and counting. :shock: :clap:

7. I have the one pictured below, I too always wanted an LED Flashlight so back when I was bouncing at a bar a few nights a week I felt the need to arm myself with a great tool. Usually working the back bar and Pool table area where most of the arguments happen, it's hard to get the other bouncers attention since the music is so loud. With this thing if you point it at someone you immediatly get their attention. even 60 feet away.

And speaking of patteries. I have a keychain 1 led superbright light. It uses a coin sized battery and after 4 years of faithfull use I broke the power button off 2 months ago in the ON position. It still glowing after 60 days :haha:

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. Trinity

With that good news I think I will get at least seven days of "glow" from my five led 3aa battery model. :D

led info; http://www.ledmuseum.org/

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  9. Adrian Wong

Man... I think I want one of these!!! :twisted:

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

AAY has one of those.
    LED flashlights have superb battery life. Unfortunately, my Surefire suffers greatly in that account. *cough* *60 minutes battery life from 2 batteries* *cough* But it churns out 60 lumens... :thumb:

11. Adrian Wong

Hey, let me know if there are any special deals on these babies! :wicked:

12. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

Is that an Inova X5 in the pic? Looks a little stubby....

I've got an X5 and I really like it, unfortunately it's not very bright. PsY's Surefire, on the other hand...I kinda wish he'd let me borrow it to bring to the BBQ to blind people with :).

Which one? As with incandescent flashlights, there are many, many varieties of LED ones. On one hand you have the lights with multiple 5mm LEDs (very easy to get in Malaysia, and not too expensive) which will typically give excellent runtimes, but relatively little light. On the other hand you have the lights which have high power LEDs (often made by Lumileds in Penang :D and sold under the Luxeon brand) that can put to shame a 4D Maglite and yet can comfortably hide in the palm of your hand. Unfortunately, the brighter the light, the more battery runtime suffers....you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Prices vary tremendously; the Inova I own can be purchased for about US$25, or you can buy the fakes for about US$3 :). Even in world of high power LEDs you can get anything from a US$250 Surefire U2 (and it really does seem like a very nice light!!) to a US$10 MXDL which uses a fake Luxeon LED.

If you want to check out some nice LED lights in Malaysia, just pop by a place like Ace Hardware and take a look at the Surefires and Inovas in the display cabinets. Try to look past the massively inflated pricetags, and if you see something you like, get it from the US for about half the price :).

1 person likes this.
  13. Trinity

"Luxeon brand"... :drool:

I want one, but just the led go's for 29 usd. :shock:

btw, still glowing after 8 days. :)

14. Adrian Wong

I have no idea yet. I will have to look around over here and see if there's something I like.

I'm thinking of something really small and yet bright enough to be of some use. :haha:

Yeah, I have seen those Surefires in Ace Hardware. Man, are they expensive or what! :haha:

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It's really overpriced there! LOL! I bought mine direct from SureFire... :D
    Cheapest one (mine) starts at $35 + shipping... :|

16. Trinity

:wave:

Update!

Too weeks,,, Still glowing! :shock:

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Wow! :thumb: Thats really long... :shock:

18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

now someone please organize a BO pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :lol:

19. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Yeah some one please :p

20. Trinity

I am thinking about buying this http://ledsupply.com/minimag.html

And upgrading my two AA mini maglight. :think:

Edit:

I just took the little plunge and just ordered this from them.

MicroPuck /Luxeon I Kit KIT001 1 19.99 Accessories = None
    Emitter Type = Lambertian (HD)
    LED Color = Blue
    MiniStar2 Mini MagliteĀ® TLE-5 1 23.99 Flashlight = None
    Replacement
    Magnetic Blinky Light, BL-BB-1 1 3.99
    Blue and Blue
    Subtotal 47.97
    Shipping 6.00
    Tax 0.00
    Total 53.97

Now I will upgrade my mag light, Experiment with that blue Luxeon... :D :D :D

And have that novelty to play with. :)

I will post pic's when the stuffs get here. Tic-toc-tic-toc... Probably sat/// or monday. :wall:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005