Linksys WRT54G and HYUNDAI Modem, Set Router Mode

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by cyclone9, Jun 22, 2006.

1. cyclone9

cyclone9 Newbie

Hi guys
    LINE ---HYUNDAI MODEM -- LINKSYS WRT54G -- PC

this is my setup
    i want to make router mode.. so i should set my hyundai to router? and linksys router mode too?
    linksys onli have few modes . like DHCP,Static IP,PPPOE,PPTP
    so choose which 1?
    the setting which works is HYUNDAI BRIDGE then linksys PPPOE...
    and this cant settign cant connect to msn..

if i wan to port forward..which modem i should port forward.

Attached Files:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Set Linksys to router mode, because router is obviously designed to be a router. You should leave the Hyundai to brigde mode, and make all the settings on the Linksys.

3. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

With all due respect Chai, this is bad information.

You should have the (Hyundai) modem set to control PPPoE authentication, and your (Linksys) router should be set to GATEWAY operating mode.

Your modem may have a mode named "PPP on the modem"; this is the mode you should use on your modem for dynamic DSL service. If you have static IP DSL service (not standard/common) then you would use Bridged Mode (PPPoE is not used). If your modem does not have a place for your PPPoE user name and password, then you must select "PPP is on the computer" and set that information on the Linksys router.

Your router's Internet Connection Type will need to be set to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP", but only if you have the modem in "PPP on the modem" mode. If your modem does not have PPPoE authentication on it (a place for your user name and password), then you would have set the modem to "PPP is on the computer" mode and set your Linksys' Internet Connection Type to PPPoE.

4. cyclone9

cyclone9 Newbie

Here is MT800A modes available
    [​IMG]
    the Bridge has 3 options -
    1. Pure Bridge
    2. Static IP
    3. DHCP

While my linksys WRT54G has modes of
    [​IMG]

this my hyundai n linksys modes available

5. K B Ng

K B Ng Newbie

Try this :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q278887/

You generally don't need to do anything for bridges because they're just passthrough devices. But on the router (the linksys) you may need to forward the ports mentioned on the webpage. Actually you generally do not need to forward ports because IM's usually connect out, and then the reply comes back through the same port. You only really need to forward if something is attempting to establish a connection to a local server from outside. MSN doesn't generally do that I think.

Check to see if you have any sort of firewall running. That's more of a possibility I think than any other. Also possible is port filtering by the ISP. If the ISP's chosen to dump connections based on some rule that affects MSN, then you'll have to talk to them.

6. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

I replied to your PM. Feel free to give me a call.

PS. You want to do port forwarding on your Linksys router, if it is necessary.

7. Chai

With all due respect here, there's nothing wrong with my recommendation, and it will still work, and I've always prefered PPPoE username to be set in a router instead of in a modem. You have no idea how crap some of the modems here can be. A power failure, all the settings in the modem will disappear and you have to reset everything. Yes, that's the modem that came with my ISP. So don't try to act smart here. I might make some mistakes sometimes, but you have no rights to condemn my information, especially when it's not wrong.

8. cyclone9

cyclone9 Newbie

it still dun work...
    the onli setting that work is HYUNDAI MODEM = BRIDGE , LINKSYS = PPPOE... but msn dun work..bt works... the weird problem if i wan to login to rojakpot or other forum/sites .. it dun send data.. it stuck there loading...izit cable problem?

i have a old cable i cant identify izit a pc-pc cable?... it is grey
    the other 1 is streamyx giv it to me...

wat should i do ? :pray:
    HYUNDAI MODE?
    LINKSYS MODE?

:wall:

9. Chai

Just to elliminate all the other possibilities, have you tried connect directly to the modem without the router, and use the Windows dialer to connect?

10. fyire

fyire Newbie

On an unrelated manner, crappy modems from the ISP did allow me to enjoy about a year of 8mb connection before. Looked like the cap didnt manage to work with that modem initially.

11. cyclone9

cyclone9 Newbie

yes... it works like charm ..

when i connect to the linksys(PPPOE).. it can surf..but no msn or logging into forums ...it wornt load at all :(

both ip of modem and linksys is 192.168.1.1..
    would this be the problem? how to chg ip for both?
    and wat about the my LAN setting?

12. fyire

fyire Newbie

If BT works, but MSN and web dont work, then I'm guessing that its something to do with DNS. U can try setting something on your Linksys for this, try checking under DHCP options and see if there's anything in there that allows u to specify what DNS servers r to be used for the DHCP clients. Cant provide u with mode details apart from that, as I dont have the same router as u, thus not knowing how the screens looks like

13. cyclone9

cyclone9 Newbie

web surfing works..
    but not like forum reply msg dun work...:( it wont respond..it will juz loading onli

the setting is BRIDGE modem and PPPOE linksys
    no DHCP

14. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

Linksys should be set to DHCP (preferred) or 192.168.1.2 (-99).

15. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

Well, I was extra respectfull with my post; so I don't see that is necessary for you to feel that I condemned your information. Also, I don't need to "act smart", since I have received formal training in this field, have six years of professional experience in this field, run a business in this field, and have completed well over a hundred DSL installs (and routers) in the past couple years. Pardon me if I know what I'm talking about, and I try to help someone.

Where you were wrong was setting the Linksys router to ROUTER mode, which would require you to choose a router protocol (RIP v1.0 or v2.0) and set up subneting over opposing networks, and that is not the correct setting for this environment. Gateway is the correct setting for bridge mode and this environment. I thought that I made this clear in my reply when I said "your (Linksys) router should be set to GATEWAY operating mode"; but you must not have seen the all caps I was attempting to point out.

Personally, I still think PPPoE should be handled on the modem side, since many routers have authentication issues. But that is just personal preference based more on field experience then anything.

16. cyclone9

cyclone9 Newbie

so confused...
    if my modem is router mode and linksys is DHCP.. it doesnt connect :(
    if my modem is bridge mode and linksys is PPPOE.. it works where msn , n reply forum etc wont load at all...also can surf net onli

17. K B Ng

K B Ng Newbie

Have you forwarded the ports ? checked to see if a firewall is not blocking the ports or the protocol ? worse comes to worst you can always use Trillian I guess.

18. cyclone9

cyclone9 Newbie

1st lets c my LAN TCP/IP
    [​IMG]

My Linksys WRT54G Router
    -Main Settings
    [​IMG]
    -Security
    [​IMG]
    -Wifi Setting
    [​IMG]
    -VLan
    [​IMG]
    -Advance Routing [ should i need to config this? ] :help:
    [​IMG]

HYUNDAI MT800A Modem
    -Main Settings
    [​IMG]
    -LAN Config - nvr touch
    [​IMG]

MSN ERROR OCCUR
    [​IMG]
    when i repair..wah no problem...
    [​IMG]

Is there anything wrong? It still can surf net ~ .. but i cant reply or login to forum etc etc..its weird
    LINE ---HYUNDAI MODEM -- LINKSYS WRT54G -- PC

19. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

You didn't change your LINKSYS router IP. CHANGE YOUR LINKSYS ROUTER IP TO 192.168.1.2. Your modem and router should not both have the same IP address. Then, once this is done, change your computer to DHCP.

20. K B Ng

K B Ng Newbie

Also, have you got the latest version of Live Messenger ? download and install it from http://www.msn.com/ :)

If it was over here I'd be running packet traces and stuff.. then you can tell for sure what's happening to it. It just might be that the Sveasoft firmware is just buggy. Got the latest version though ? Sure looks like DHCP is on (from the screenshot.)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006