Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router Pictorial Review Posted!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Wow did this just become available to you? I’ve had this baby for prolly over a year, works great as a simple router for the computer illiterate and even the power user. It supports a solid VPN connection even over wireless. Port forwarding works flawlessly. I have it set so I can remote access my home pc and my media center via remote desktop from anywhere. I also had this router during my game server hosting days, it creates almost no network slowdown. When I ran a raw speed test with no router and compared it to after the router was installed there was almost no difference in up and down speeds.

Wireless was a snap to setup. I am currently using WEP encryption and I am also using MAC filtering. My wife can power up her computer anytime and start working from anywhere in our home without any issues, same with me. My media center connects wirelessly to get all TV information, proving wireless is rock solid 24 hours a day.

I also have non computer devices connected to the router, my Rockford Omnifi system. The car connects from my driveway every night to check for any new MP3s to download to the car, my streaming player usually runs music during dinner and mostly all day on weekends.

Lastly you can also see who connects to your network allowing you to see who’s trying to mooch wireless, but got denied because of WEP and MAC filtering. There are so many things a power user can do with this router, yet it’s a piece of cake to setup even your average non computer user. I like the fact that if you remove the rubber feet it fits into a wall mount bracket witch I have hidden behind my printer (see photos)

Attached Files:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Nice! :thumb:

Well, I think I will just get a wireless-G card just to give it a try. :think:

Of course, there's really no advantage in wireless-G over wireless-B as far as the Internet is concerned. Only good for faster transfers of data on the local network.

3. :haha: you just tanked your own statement, intenet downloads are faster.

4. Adrian Wong

Err.. I don't think so. Even if you have a 2Mbit DSL line, wireless-B should have more than enough bandwidth to ensure you extract maximum throughput from the connection. :think:

5. m0dD3r

m0dD3r Newbie

I have had this router for about 8 months now and it has been awesome the whole time. I have always wondered how to get games to run better when I try to play online. I tried opening my port with the DMZ and that kinda helped. I was wondering how to get games like CS Source, BF2, BF vietnam, and some others to work with the port forwarding and if that would help at all. I know you guys know like everything so help would be greatly appreciated with this matter. I have 3mbit DSL connection and three computers hooked up to it.
    PS : I'm glad to be on the coolest forum ever! :dance:

6. Adrian Wong

Umm.. What specifically is the problem that you are facing? :think:

7. m0dD3r

m0dD3r Newbie

Thx for the quick reply. Sorry for not being clear. Basically I am having lag issues when I play games online. I was wondering how to make them not lag. The article makes it sound like I am supposed to use port forwarding for online gaming but I don't know how to.

8. Adrian Wong

Lag is not due to port forwarding. If you cannot forward the port, you won't even be able to play! :think:

When it comes to lag, check the ping times to the game server. Also, check the signal strength and quality. If it's low, there may be lots of missing packets that need to be re-sent.

9. If you are playing the game there is no need to forward any ports, usually that's only for serving the game.

LAG could be due to other computers on your network hogging the bandwidth or you are playing on servers too far away form your location. Try pinging the server if the responce is over 60 - 100ms try a better server.

10. Adrian Wong

Oops. Yeah, the port forwarding is only required if you are serving the game. :mrgreen:

11. m0dD3r

m0dD3r Newbie

It's OK. We all make mistakes and from what I can tell you are very busy so making a mistake is not horrible. Well, I successfully had 4 friends over and had a LAN party with BF2, CS Source, and Battlefront! Thx for all the help and I already feel welcome at the forums! :clap:

12. Adrian Wong

Cool!! Glad it worked out for you!! :thumb:

And again, welcome to the ARP forums! :mrgreen:

13. OccerAussie

OccerAussie Newbie

Is this router the answer to an old man,easily confused with tech talk, in setting up his first LAN?
    Respond in simple English - :think: - Please?

14. Adrian Wong

IMHO, it's easy to configure right out of the box.