Looking for a Modem + WiFi Router

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Adrian Wong, May 23, 2006.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Ahhh.. Will need to buy a new ADSL modem as well as a new WiFi router.

I wonder...

1. Would it be a good idea to buy a modem + ADSL router combo?

2. If TMNet is offering any free modem packages?

3. If not, any suggestion on the ADSL modem to buy? It will definitely have to be a LAN modem.

4. If the new Linksys WRT54G routers are still afflicted with this problem - http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Special_note_for_users_with_Linksys_WRT54G_GL_GS_routers

5. What other WiFi routers would be a good choice?

Well, I hope you guys can help me make some decisions here! Will be making a shopping trip this Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks!! :mrgreen:

2. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

For DSL, I keep the following item in inventory:

Gateway, DSL, 2Wire, 1701HG Gateway, 802.11g WiFi Certified, 4-Port Ethernet Switch

Hope this helps!

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

3com? Or just get Linksys RV042. It will never crash, powered by Intel too! :haha:

4. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

yeah 3Com and LinkSys pretty good brands. I believe TMNet do offer adsl modems on rental if you pick up their streamyx packages. just another RM10 per month.

5. Adrian Wong

TMNet occasionally offers a free modem. I think they are currently using modems from Kasda, a Chinese company. Anyone with any experience of this modem here?

Hmm.. The WiFi router is the biggest issue, I suppose. I like the Linksys WRT54G but it cannot handle P2P applications. I suppose I will probably get a 3Com WiFi router. :think:

Hmm.. What about WiFi routers from Level One?

6. rudhrasamy

rudhrasamy Newbie

get a streamyx in a box package from tmnet..... its RM 280 adsl+wifi router.... but dunno the brand ... the sales person oso said they dunno.... everytime the stock change......

Linksys is a good choice... im gonna get 1 for my self next month....

7. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

izzit? i'm not a heavy P2P user, but what i like about the WRT54G is that you can use DD-WRT firmware - which is cool, but of coures voids your warranty. :)

Level 1? seems ok, but rarely hear people use.

for me, i'm using D-Link DSL-300G modem and WRT54G (v2.x) with DD-WRT v23

i prefer my modem / router seperate. :) in the event of a power surge, hopefully just the modem takes the damage. or either one, but not both....... though it's still possible for both.

also i like the idea to be able to swap as necessary.

for example, my gf is using DSL-500G + BEFSR41. i'm using DSL-300G + WRT54G. in the event anything goes wrong, can do swapping and trouble-shooting / temporary loan blablablablablabl

should my WRT54G need to go places, my SMC 5port switch will come in - problem is my father and mother won't get to use WiFi :p luckily they can hop on to my neighbour's, which so happens to be my nephew. w00t.......

8. Adrian Wong

I think I have the same WRT54G model that you have. Yeah, check out this link - http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Special_note_for_users_with_Linksys_WRT54G_GL_GS_routers

It has that blasted P2P problem. I wonder if the RIAAA and SPA/BSA are paying Linksys to cripple P2P. :haha: :haha:

Yeah, I too think it would be better to have a separate router. Hmm.. May possibly get a 3Com router since the Linksys modem is definitely afflicted by this problem, even when you use hacked firmware.

9. Assassin

Assassin Newbie

Yes, how is the Level 1 router? I'm thinkning of getting the Level 1 WBR 3406TX

10. Adrian Wong

No idea about Level 1, but I just bought a 3Com OfficeConnect 54G WiFi router. I hope it works out... :shifty: :shifty:

Incidentally, I heard from my brother that this 3Com router inexplicably does not support QoS. So he can't control how much bandwidth each user is allocated. :shock:

Not sure if we have the same version. Will check soon.