MacBook Pro soft mod issues

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by edward, Aug 4, 2009.

1. edward

edward Newbie

Hi,

I've just been playing with soft-modding the graphics card on my computer. I have an Apple macbook pro with an nVidia GeForce 8600M graphics card. Using GPU-Z I've discovered that has the G84M processor. Since I use SolidWorks a lot, I was interested in soft-modding it to use the QuadroFX driver. The QuadroFX 570M has the same processor so I assumed this would be the correct one to pick. I used RivaTuner to do the mod and then installed the nVidia driver from the web.

Now, it's all working but it's really not that speedy. In fact, I think it's rather slower than the original driver. Have I done something wrong? Should I have picked a different QuadroFX driver? Or have I picked the wrong processor? I'm rather confused as I'm pretty sure that GPU-Z said I have GeForce 8600M card when the TechArp list says the 8600M card doesn't seem to exist; they are either 8600MGT or 8600MGS. I'm not sure which I have.

Most importantly, If I want to revert to my original configuration, what should I do? All thoughts gratefully received!

Thanks for your help in advance...
    Edward

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hi edward,

NVIDIA doesn't have a GeForce 8600M per se. There are two models - 8600M GS and 8600M GT. A quick check online revealed that the Apple MacBook Pro (circa June 2007) uses the GeForce 8600M GT.

If you want to revert, just uninstall the modded driver, and reinstall the driver (without the mod enabled).