Malaysia's Elections 2008 (Before, During & After)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dashken, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Samy takes on hecklers in Prai

Woah... drama... :mrgreen:

2. 64bit

64bit Newbie

It seems that more dramas are appearing while the election is nearing...

If the people are unhappy, instead of doing harmful protest, why not vote for the appropriate opposition instead?

3. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

anybody thought of spoiling ur vote?
    like putting " ? " instead of " x " :p

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I want them to lose! Damn it!

5. bslee

bslee Newbie

C'mon people!.. just vote for a change this time round...give the underdogs a chance and don't waste your votes by not voting or spoiling it. By NOT voting or spoiling, you're only ruining chances for a change. I'm 50 now and I've seen enough and ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!.. frankly speaking!.
    BeNd now is NOT the same as 3 decades ago!.. This one will continue making the country worse off...You ME..and anyone not well connected with them.
    Winning outright may be a dream but lets all help to rid or reduce kroniputras, crooks and scumbags. Help in setting in a better check & balance this time, now or never!.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Petrol subsidies should be removed for motorists. They subsidize petrol but tax us on cars. IMHO, I would prefer they remove ALL subsidies if they do so for taxes and duties on cars as well.

Think about it. We are paying at least TWICE as much for our cars as people in other countries. Take a mid-range Toyota Vios for example. Priced around RM 80,000, it would cost only RM 40,000 without taxes.

That's enough to pay for over 13,300 L of UNSUBSIDIZED petrol. Even if you use 300 L (RM 900) of unsubsidized petrol a month, that's almost FOUR YEARS of FREE petrol right there.

7. Adrian Wong

That's the official, polished version of the story. For all we know, Semi Value actually ran away with the police protecting him.

Compare the story printed in the Star about the recent Hindraf roses rally and that printed by Reuters. The Star stated that "not one rose was seen" and there were no children in sight, and hence, the police were justified in using the water cannon on them. Reuters reported differently. Who do you trust? :D

8. Adrian Wong

Don't do that. Spoiling the vote is almost as good as giving it to BN.

I used to think that I would only vote for the right candidate, irrespective of the party. Now, I'm telling everyone.. vote for the opposition, no matter where or what party he/she is from! BN must be taught a lesson! :mad:

Think about it. BN functions on a Whip system. What this means is EVERY BN candidate MUST toe the party line. This is exactly why whenever the opposition comes up with a good suggestion, all BN MPs would vote it down, even if it's good for the country and the people. Is that the kind of party you want to vote for?

If I want to vote for the candidate, then let him/her be from a party that allows free thought and free opinions. I will never vote for any party that functions on the Whip basis. Neither should you.

9. bslee

bslee Newbie

To add more substance to the whip system, just recently the DPM told Kuantan people, we don't need highly educated wakils..as long as they're winable and serve the people.
    Sheeesh!.. no wonder dungu's rule the land!. Still wanna trust the kind of messages from crooks out to ONLY WANT your vote?.
    BTW, do note that most, if not all your opposition candidates are quite qualified by comparison.

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

samy: We will send our next angkasawan to the sun
    reporter: but the sun is too hot for us to go, datuk..
    samy: neh-mind, we can fly there at night

11. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

LOL! he ready to step down from politics i guess

but what if the opposition is crappy too?
    if there is 10% spoilt vote, it's showing that both parties need to back up.. that how i thought it would be, wrong story? haha

12. bslee

bslee Newbie

Please allow me to say that most people think or speculate too far ahead.
    The main objective is to deny 2/3 majority and have more opposition reps in the Parliament for a better check & balance. Opp parties themselves don't expect a total win at all...not this time though. SO, shall we help them achieve this objective..I think we should and its high time.
    BN, Umno in particular have overstayed their welcome and many admit they've become arrogant. This is NOT good at all.
    I think I'd not say more..many issues are obvious and we can't be in denial or content mode all the time. If there's a change, probably there'll be a riot!, but if NO change, the country will NOT improve.

13. Adrian Wong

Crappy? How will we ever find out if we don't even give them a chance? :think:

If they are crappy after getting elected, well, let's just vote them out in the next elections. But if we don't even give them a chance, how can we even say they are crappy?

If there are spoilt votes, it either means the voter is inexperienced and don't know how to mark his/her vote... or it could be in protest... against the choice of candidate or party.

Let me tell you what Robin Williams said in the movie, Man of the Year - "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason." :mrgreen:

14. Adrian Wong

I have to agree with that. Most of the country is still too ignorant to vote for the right candidate / party. So, the best thing for us to do now is the deny BN the 2/3 majority.

Why? Simple... Without the 2/3 majority, they CANNOT modify the Constitution whenever they want to. The loss of that majority will also prevent them from simply passing any laws they like. Checks and balances are VERY important.

15. bslee

bslee Newbie

Frankly for me, many years have past and I've seen blatant and wanton unfairness, unaccountability and broken promises by BN and their cohorts. Cheating the rakyat isn't impossible.
    1. Distribution of wealth. No one can tally whats actually been achieved past 50 years. Mainstream and government propaganda support everything BN does. You're only being told what you're supposed to hear. Its now with the internet and blogs that have exposed many scandals of how filthy its been all the while.
    Malay politicians in majority Malay areas have a mindset to champion their people 1st. YES!..I don't mind that but for how long?..another 50 years so it seems until people become lazy and fully dependent on it?. To me the current politicians in office are semua "pembolot harta negara". They enrich themselves by taking advantage of situations and giving back very little even to their own people during 5 years of their tenure. They say they're approachable but you'd likely need like a ROYAL APPOINTMENT to see them in person. They build and hide behind mansions like that joker and sometimes live beyond their means like another former minister who can gamble and lose millions in London. They're NOT saintly..thats for sure.
    2. State awards: Its cheapened with so many individuals awarded seemingly at whim and fancy. We can only question, what the heck did they do to deserve Dato, TS, DS and etc?. Nearly all prominent BN are a Datuk or TS or whatever.
    The Sultan been known to discourage and lessen the number but instead we see MORE awards that day.
    3. Gifts, free makan, extremely swift improvement and action to community issues and all sorts of payouts near GE. Isn't this a strange phenomenon? The rest of 5 years, you can cry till you eye balls pop out for swift action.
    4. Land aquisition by government: Ask around if those who received compensation for their acquired land for projects. YES, a million or 2 bucks for inherited land is huhu haha, jollyjolly megabucks for a kampung farmer who've never seen big bucks. Its going to assure their "Mecca pilgrimage".
    BUT!..its BN gahmen who's laughing BEST as they've GOT the best deal of the century!. Who's being made the fool now?.
    Ah!.. so many things your "favourite" and "righteous" gahmen have made a fool out of its voters.. PLEASE THINK AGAIN! Its status quo if we don't vote otherwise and deny them the majority.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  16. Adrian Wong

Still, many would vote for BN, if only to "ensure stability". That's the trouble.

The rich don't want to rock the boat. After all, many of them are in cahoots with the politicians. The poor and the underpriviledged, unfortunately, don't know any better. :wall:

So EVERY VOTE counts. Let's go out and make sure we ALL vote.

17. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

hmmm... before today, i was sure i am gonna vote for DAP, but now i am not so sure. The SUPP here (Under BN) just sent out flyer today and said they have manage to secure RM1 mil to improve the drainage system in 3 places, my house is just exactly at one of those places. Flooding has been a serious problem for like over the pass 15 years over here, one of the worst flood had the water level at my living room at 1.5 feet deep :shock: , while the water outside the house was like 2 feet deep. The last election, the DAP won the seat here, but now i might have to vote for SUPP :think:

18. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Promises...? My house and the area around it have seen more than 10-15 floods for the past 20+ years... and every election, they promise things will be better. :mrgreen: Naa! L*N la... :mad: :evil: :o

I've had enough... I'm moving end of this year! :p

19. bslee

bslee Newbie

Hey folks.. don't be taken in (or bought over) by sudden gifts and carrots near GE. You have every right as a Malaysian citizen to complain like hell or make noise on your community greviences if say its a wakil/MP voted in from the opposition. Make them work as they've pledged or when we vote and give them the chance. If they fail in their pledges, vote them out next round. BN or Opposition voted into office are BOUND BY DUTY to WORK HARD and DELIVER with responsibility, but record shows broken promises and MAJORITY idiots and ars** in the parliament with malignant infantile behaviour and DON'T DELIVER. Please change the trend this time.
    I don't have to name those past individuals.
    Broken pledges starting from the top man, wrong priorties and mismanagement by BN all gone to record over 50 years and I don't blame many are pissed, regardless of race or creed (especially educated and ones who keep tab). Sudden implementations and gifts are anything but to BUY YOUR CONFIDENCE!.

One fact I'm cocksure, BN has NEVER consistently equally divided the nation's wealth, current or new found to all the rakyat!.. THEY WON'T DO IT even if they promise over their mother's grave. IF anyone can prove to me they have!..I reconsider and cast my vote FOR BN!.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  20. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

well, i just came back from their comunity dialog session just opposite my house just now. Apparently the RM1 mil is already approved and the drainage improvement project will be carried out regardless if they win or not. They are just trying to tell us that they help to secure the project :mrgreen:

And my understanding of the purpose of the session is on what they will do if they win, but it turn out to be full of propaganda crap. Instead of telling us what they are going to do to serve the community, one of thier supporter use the dialog to bash DAP on what they didnt do and dont fall for their lies. The other use the dialog to praise the SUPP and its members and ask use to support them in the next election.

Other than the fact the they help to secure the drainage improvement project, the session was a total waste of time because i went there hoping to get some idea of what plans or projects they have up thier sleeves to help serve the community if they win but none of that was mentioned.

How the heck are they gonna convince me to vote for them? :think: if it was up to me, who ever plan that session's agenda should be sack :haha: