Manek Eh

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cypris, Mar 21, 2008.

1. cypris

cypris Newbie

Last year, my team and I went all the way to Melaka/Malacca to shoot a documentary on Manek Eh a.k.a. Beaded shoes/slippers.

Nyonya ladies made their own manek eh back then before their marriage and their handiwork is given to their in laws upon marriage. Every young nyonya girl is required to learn how to sew on the beads to make their own beaded shoes.

Also, they were worn as everyday shoes by the women in those times. How cool is that? Custom, hand-made shoes for yourself!

PS: Each pair of these patterns take weeks and months to make. The finer the beads, the more complicated the patterns, the longer it takes to finish, the more expensive it becomes.

The white pair costs RM700++

If you ever happen to drop by Melaka, do give this shop a little visit. It's a little hard to spot, looks more like a house than a shop and it is very old but they still make the shoes here by hand and the lady shop keeper is very pleasant and welcoming.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  2. cypris

cypris Newbie

Sorry all the pics are not in order. it's 6 something in the morning now =_=

Attached Files:

3. cypris

cypris Newbie

The owner + our host

Learning how to sew the beads

How the final product should look like

Back then and now

The whole gang that wreaked havoc in her shop for two days filming our short film.

Attached Files:

4. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

i can't imagine wearing the shoes which cost so much but i think the workmanship is really worth it. I won't be able to sew at all even if you pay me rm1000/pair.

5. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Those are some shoes!

Interesting discovery, cypris! :D

6. cypris

cypris Newbie

I don't think people actually buy them to wear nowadays. Most buy them for deco or collection. Very few actually buy them to be worn and those that actually buy the shoes for that purpose are the local nyonyas.

PS: I actually think that the price for those shoes are a lot more worth it than some Jimmy Choo's lol.

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Manek Eh... I thought what until I read sandals. Cypris, keep the custom alive!! :mrgreen: :dance: