Mazda 2: Is t3h reli z00m-z00m!!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by neverthar, Mar 6, 2007.

1. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

2. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

The funky styling of the all-new Mazda 2 (Demio in Japan.) is a major departure from tall-boy styling of the current model (In a good way.). I think that the new design direction makes sense as the Japanese market already have the Verisa to take over the role as a mini wagon.

Me rike it!:thumb:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  3. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

I do too because for the first time in ages, not only Mazda has a solid new platform for it's compact car class but also a with a design which really appeals. I means except the MX and RX series, do Mazda's appeal to you past it's solid engineering?

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. It looks good! :thumb:

Hmm.. Is it using the Wankel cycle engine?

5. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

LOL! The Wankel engine will be too expensive for a car of that size!:haha:

Plus the fuel consumption of the RENESIS engine in the RX8 isn't exactly economical (Despite the small engine size.). So, that wouldn't be a good idea, especially for a city car!

The only Mazda in the current line up with it is their four door coupe, the RX8.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. I thought the advantage of a Wankel cycle engine is the lighter weight, cheaper cost? :think:

7. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

fortunately no, it uses the new Z/MZ series which is already seen in the Mazda 3 and 6. Very robust and torquey designs

8. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

indeed but the disadvantage is that it's too efficient burning that it emots too much sulphur (I think) previously to pass Euro emissions. Besides that it's inherently not as torquey as reciprocal piston designs so it needs to be revved much higher thereby increasing fuel consumption

9. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention.

The platform of this car will form the basis of a Ford version in the US!

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Looks a bit like Ford Puma...

I don't really like these sort of cars. The sport package looks so much better with the sportier front bumper.

The standard one is so... :|

11. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

Looks like Mazda's got the reaction they wanted judging by your opinion. At least this design is fresh and generates opinions and this in hand makes the consumer easier to identify it. After all boring designs are unmemorable.

12. Chai

Fresh? Since it looks like Ford Puma, I wouldn't say it's fresh. I like Mazda 6 though.

1 person likes this.
  13. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

Fresh compared to what Mazda's been doing (Remember the old Demio?). At least Mazda's on the right track of returning to the mouths of buyers and enthusiasts with their new lineups and their MPS series. It's better then just relying on their MX's and RX's for survival

14. It still looks really nice, though. I mean, Porsche's still retain similar styling with even the 356's. Fresh or not, still handsome! :thumb:

15. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

Agreed but your comparing the europeans with the japs. Europeans always have flair and good base heritage to go back to upon. Meanwhile the japs, except for the Fairlady, Skyline, 2000GT and maybe, the RX series, they don't have design heritage which is referrable unless you thought your grandparent/aunty/uncle 's 1968 Toyota has an excellent styling heritage

16. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

You might want to note that it isn't a good idea to use J***, as it is an insult to the Japanese.

TF

17. Chai

LMAO, the old Fairlady looks like the old Jag E-type. :haha:

18. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

Bleh if JC can call zee German's the Jerry and get away with it, I'd guess a lil leeway is allowed

Poor Count Albert Goertz would be rolling in his grave if he heard you said that since he never liked Malcolm Sayer. And a lil nugget of info, he's the one who designed the BMW 507 roadster, the inspiration for the Z8

19. I think the heritage of Mazda is always coming out with designs that is a readily noticeable departure from most Japanese cars. With the exception of some of the van models of Mazda, they always seem to come out with something that looks very desirable, funky and young. :)