Memory Limits

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by martypastor, May 21, 2008.

1. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

HI.
    Is there any idea on how to edit the Max Limit of my PC's Bios?
    and
    Is there any way to edit the AGP Bus (My Mobo has AGP 4x support)
    also
    Is there also any way to configure the FSB Thru BIOS editing?
    (Using Phoenix BIOS)
    If so what software will i use?
    Phoenix BIOS editor?
    or
    Hex editor (Like XVI32)?
    Thanks

My PC's BIOS
    BIOS Date: 03/19/02
    BIOS Type: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 00RS
    BIOS ID: BIOS Version: 6.00 00RS
    OEM Sign-On: None
    Chipset: Intel 1130 rev 4
    Superio: NSC 366 rev 10 found at port 2Eh
    CPU: Intel¦ Pentium¦ I 1000 Mhz:D MAX: 1500 Mhz:)
    BIOS ROM In Socket: No
    BIOS ROM Size: 512K
    Memory Installed: 256 MB:cry: My computer is so slow!?!?
    Memory Maximum: 512 MB:cry:
    Memory Slot 01: 128 MB
    Memory Slot 02: 128 MB
    ACPI Revision: Unknown

AND LAST THING
    Can i upgrade my Processor From Pentium 3 to Pentium 4 using an P3 Board?

2. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

Can i upgrade my Processor From Pentium 3 to Pentium 4 using an P3 Board?
    if it the same socket AND ur mobo does support it, yes.

Is there any way to edit the AGP Bus
    No?

i can`t answer the other questtion, coz i don`t get it :nuts:

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  3. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

AGP BUS like this
    My computers AGP bus supports 1x 2x and 4x but my vid. card suports 2x 4x and 8x. So how can i modify it like turning the limit to AGP 2x 4x 8x ?
    and one thing
    The Memory limit! is there any way to increase the limit?
    My RAM limit is 512MB. IF theres any way how to modify it what tool or software will i use? Because I'm using Phoenix BIOS from my PC is it Phoenix BIOS Editor or Hex editing programs.
    Thanks

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Your card will automatically uses the highest AGP speed that your motherboard supports. That means AGP 4X in your case.

If I'm not mistaken, the memory limit was based on RAM density at the time the BIOS was created. If you have higher capacity SDRAM modules, you should have no problem using them to increase the amount of RAM in your system.

5. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

so, there is no memory limit for one slot, especially for notebook motherboard? can add 1 GB, 2 GB or even 4 GB ?

6. Adrian Wong

There are chipset limitations. You have to check the specifications of the chipset to be sure. However, the chipset usually supports more memory than what most users will install.

7. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

ah I see, mine is i945GM, should be able to hold total 4GB :think:

8. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

On the AGP max as Adrian mentioned that is determined my your motherboard.

On the memory I may have learned something from Adrian here and it makes sense to me. If we can upgrade BIOS to include newer CPU's why can't we to include more memory than the original BIOS version was set for? The slots(sockets) are physically and electronically the same in most cases.

On raising the FSB you are getting into pin mods which I am working on right now for this Celeron Northwood. Two pin mods raise the FSB from 400 to 533Mhz and also the Vcore from 1.5 to 1.65V. Still working on that as I have time my 478 mobo for that may have to be changed. As for this and the AGP this is not something that can be soft modded or changed in BIOS.

Hope this helps Marty and cheers on the PM feel free to contact me anytime. I don't have all the answers but I try ;)

9. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

To answer your questions and I'm not trying to be a balloon popper here but to Edit your bios you will most likely need to acquire an eprom reader. Back then there was no such thing like we know now a flashing your bios.

Secondly it would do you no good and heres the reasons why.

1) The Pentium III was last based on the Socket 370 , Pentium 4 were changed to Socket 423 when first released, Later to Socket 478, then to what we know now as LGA 775. So no upgrade options there.

2) The Intel 815 chipset that you board uses can only use a maximum of 512 ram, that is a limitation within the chipset itself, sadly theres no way to get around it.

3) As the others have stated you may can use an AGP 8X card in there but it will only work in AGP 4x mode at best. But please consider this AGP 4x used 1.5v signaling, the newer AGP 8x uses 0.8v signaling. So to put an 8X card into a 4X slot may cause damage to the card or it may not work at all.

Sorry to have said all that, I know you are trying your best to upgrade your computer and I'd like to see you do so. But based on what you have there really isnt a way to feasibly do it.

1 person likes this.
  10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I was flashing BIOS even back in the P2 days. Probably earlier, can't remember exactly.

11. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

Chai I'm going mainly off the small amount of info I have been able to find concerning his MB. In trying to help him out we have found very little info on it other than it was put together by Samsung or a 3rd party for them to use in his system.

Have been unable to find any info concerning drivers for it or any kind of a bios update, Even from Samsung, I emailed them and not gotten a response.

He's free to try it and see if he can read the bios using one of the flash programs. As you probably remember not all manufacturers supported on board flashing of the bios. But you as well as others here know the dangers involved in doing so. Based on the physical limitations of the MB, he is still not going to be able to do what he desires to with it.

12. Adrian Wong

Hey Rraven! That's a good point. I totally forgot about the different signalling voltages. :wall: :wall:

Thanks and +rep!! :thumb: :thumb:

13. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

Thank you sir.

14. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

Thanks all for the replies.
    Sorry for the delay.
    But i have a question. Lets say i put 2 512MB RAM (1024MB of SDRAM) on the 2 slots of my main board., and the limit of the chipset for the RAM is 512MB, what will happen?
    -It will show up 512MB and occupy 512MB only of my SDRAM?

Also
    This( Chipset) might be the reason why my video card is just 64MB in Video Memory than showing up 128MB of Video Memory because i put my card in a AGP 4x slot than in a AGP 8x slot.
    (Video card: Winfast A180BT ? NVIDIA GeForce MX4000 128MB DDR AGP 8x)
    Remember that the PC is made in KOREA
    And about the bios update
    -One day i've contacted Samsung Electronics in Korea abot the BIOS update for my computer (MA10) and they said that 6.00 OORS is the latest version and that is in my computer.

Now the problem that caused my card to run at 64MB of video mem. running at AGP 4x than running at 128MB DDR at AGP 8x.

And in conclusion that i cant upgrade to P4 and no adjusting mem limits of the RAM?

15. Adrian Wong

No, the chipset supports more than just 512MB. It should work fine. You might want to update the BIOS just in case.

No, the chipset doesn't restrict the amount of graphics card in your graphics card. You are probably looking at the AGP aperture setting in the BIOS. That is not the amount of graphics memory available. See here - Tech ARP - AGP Aperture Size

16. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

-So i can increase the size of my RAM over 512MB to 1024MB or more than of that.
    (TUNING TO VIDEO CARD PROBLEMS)
    AND IT HAS ALSO CONNECTIONS WITH THE TOPIC
    -But the problem of my card is this;
    My card is Winfast A180BT (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000) at 128MB AGP8x, I've used this many times on my old computers (AMD Processor Custom Builted Computer) running at 128MB AGP8x and works all fine but when i transferred this on this computer (Samsung MA10 Intel Processor) It works well and fine at 128 MB at AGP8x but after months the BSOD Error came saying "Parameter is incorrect" if i'm not mistaken, then the screen blurs and makes lines but the mem of the graphics is showing to 128MB and ive tried to reinstall this video card driver and cleaned dirty stuff by brushing and after by doing this many times and after OS reinstallation all it went to 64MB at AGP4x. Ive tried to clean and reinstall drivers but no luck.
    Is htere any way to bring it back to 128MB of video memory but the video 3d texture mem is 128MB.
    But still i want to fix the video mem irregularity.
    If so what way or anything else.
    Thanks

17. Adrian Wong

Where did you see it dropping to just 64MB?? :think:

18. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

1 person likes this.
  19. Adrian Wong

Hey, you are right! The entire Intel 815 chipset family supports only 512MB. So, martypastor, that's really bad luck. Your motherboard cannot support more than 512MB.

+rep, Rraven! :beer:

20. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

From POST (BOOT from starting of the computer) and to Windows.

IF i thne put more than 512MB of RAM into my system, what would happened?