Microsoft brings Office to the Web browser!

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Dashken, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

It's about time dudes!!! :mrgreen: Heard the beta will be available end of this year. :dance:

2. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Ah, now they are trying to fight with Google,
    Would it be free?

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I read that it's supposed to be free...

4. Diablofox420

Diablofox420 Newbie

that would be sweet if its free

5. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

It's about time, but I doubt I'll use it any time soon. I don't have any use for the web based apps yet :think:

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Maybe they are transitioning from pc based softwares to web based softwares.

Then in the not so distant future, offfice are accesible online only, and verification is done each time, so piracy is zeroed out LOL

7. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Account information theft will be on the rise though! I wouldn't want to have some important documents online ;)

8. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

talking about web based software, I just keep thinking about memory usage :haha:
    those drink memory like water :wicked:

9. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Maybe MS would do something to make it work smoothly with IE 7 only lolz

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Imagine if Firefox or IE takes up more than 500MB of RAM constantly...

11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

haih..too much hassle.
    just give me a desktop office!

12. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hmm, there seems to be alot of desktop based applications moving to be a little web based, you even have web based photoshop.

Perhaps soon, these applications would use the processing power over the server side, and alot of cheap PC's would be available to those in poverty stricken countries.

The idea is not really that bad after all.

13. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think MS would prefer to avoid server-side processing. Otherwise, they would need a lot of servers. Best to use the clients to run the apps. That's not a problem though... even netbooks are more than fast enough to run office applications.

Server-side apps also have security issues. They must ensure that data entered by the user is encrypted between the client and the server. Running it on the client avoids this AFAIK.

The biggest problem I see is such a service requires Internet connectivity. It will be a real problem in poverty-stricken countries where they may not even have telephone! :)

14. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Connectivity wouldn't be an issue in poverty stricken countries, especially with WiMax, no need to lay cables, just erect towers would do

15. Adrian Wong

Eh, WiMAX not freeMAX la.. Even here, it's costing so much money and time to set up. The advantage of WiMAX is the coverage but from what I see locally, even we are not there yet.

I don't see WiMAX becoming common even here in 2009. I seriously doubt poverty-stricken countries can implement it.

A better idea would be the roaming WiFi service provided by buses as they travel through the areas. People can send e-mails as they pass by. I think that initiative is being sponsored by Google.

16. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

:lol: .. bus flyby can't work.

first, you need to scan for network.. then you need to join network.. get IP ... then click mail send button. If the bus still around, then great :p

Wifi not exactly like our mobile cell which allow cell hopping ....

17. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Then the bus gets connected via satellite?

Hmm, but setting up WiMax towers would definitely be cheaper than laying out all the cables around isnt it

18. Adrian Wong

I don't know but that's one of the projects that Google is funding.

19. Adrian Wong

I'm not entirely sure how the whole system works. :think:

Maybe the e-mails are temporarily stored in a computer in the bus for forwarding when it reaches the bus station.