Microsoft ReadyBoost Technology : Are You Ready?

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Windows Vista brings with it new technologies designed to boost performance. One of its most interesting features is the ReadyBoost technology.

Today, we will take a look at what makes it tick and what you need before you can enable it. We will also show you how to enable and set it to work best with your system.

[​IMG]

Link : Microsoft ReadyBoost Technology : Are You Ready?

2. Destruk

Destruk Newbie

Cool. Yeah I tried a Lexar jumpdrive and it was too slow, so I got a Corsair Voyager GT (2GB) - the GT has much faster sequential/nonsequential reads and writes than the basic voyager. For $30 it makes windows vista snappy on my new computer. My pc has 1GB ram (less than 6 months since manufacture date) core 2 duo with 320gb hard drive. Without readyboost it took Firefox about 5 seconds to load up when doubleclicked - with ready boost it's 2 or 3 seconds. Over the long term that is a lot of time to be saved as I load that up nearly every day, so it's well worth it to get a fast readyboost drive for this.

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Readyboost is great for systems with only 512MB, but if you have a truckload of RAM e.g 2GB or 4GB you might not need this anymore.

Any idea how much ringgit is that Kingston Readyboost flash drive? :D

4. Destruk

Destruk Newbie

First off, 'need' is relative. I doubt anyone 'needs' readyboost to do what they want to do with their computer. In any case, you can totally eliminate the windows pagefile/swapfile if you have a gb of ram and windows won't complain, depending on what you use your computer for. If you're using a swapfile on the hard drive, any readyboost feature should at least not make your computer slower if it meets specs, so if you have a couple of bills, or a tiny bit of cash to get one I don't see why not. USB Flash (readyboost approved) drives are still faster than the hard drive for what it's used for in this case.

Current Kingston tops at 24 read/10 write.
    Corsair voyager GT's top at 34/27

If anything we'd need to see benchmarks of relatively current model flash drives to figure which is best for the job.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, we will try to provide that database but it will require the cooperation of USB flash memory companies.