Microsoft to Tighten the Genuine Advantage Screws

Discussion in 'News' started by fyire, Aug 11, 2006.

1. fyire

fyire Newbie

So.. is this WGA++?

2. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

Look slike its time for my sister to consider upgrading to a Linux OS.

Otherwise, I hope that they're going to price Vista reasonably.

3. fyire

fyire Newbie

Perish the thought. The BSD Devil's cuter than the Linux penguin anytime :)

+ BSD comes in so many cool variants :)

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

haha, as usual it will still be cracked within hours. :haha:

ms cant write anti piracy software, not even a piece of shit!

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yeah :haha: Those people damn geng one :haha:

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I wish they would spend more time tweaking Windows, rather than trying to add more locks... which are always broken anyway. :haha: :haha:

7. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

I call it the problem of incredibly high pricing of Windows, and almost zero fan loyalty. Most (emphasis most, not all) people use Windows because they have no other choice, or because their work requires it, or because they want to play games, or because <insert excuse here>

So MS gets complacent due to their market share and knowing there will still be people using Windows..

.. the hackers have no qualms breaking through every WGA lock MS puts down..

.. and laypeople have no qualms and no problems buying a pirated copy of Windows and applying all the hacks and workarounds by the hackers to get over WGA.

So piracy goes up, and MS gets fed up because sales is going down, and... the whole vicious cycle starts again.

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yup, I think I can finally agree with you on this topic. :haha:

9. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Looks like I will have to buy an OS someday down the road...:(

But not today!!!:haha:

Last time I had to "pay" for it was win98.:haha:

10. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

LMAO. WMP11 and IE7 require genuine copies of Vista :haha:
    Not saying that I won't end up getting a genuine copy, but these are two pieces of software that I can definitely live without! :haha:

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think you read it wrongly. It's available for genuine WinXP users, and included for Vista.

12. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Yes, but "Future updates to Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player for Windows Vista will require them to be genuine."

Regardless...it's no motivation for me at all. :haha:

13. Adrian Wong

I would agree with djspinnet too. Microsoft has to take the long view.

Right now, their strategy is not only costly (in manpower and development costs), but also in terms of PR and fan loyalty. They are going to alienate their users by dumping ever bloated operating systems at bloated prices with all sorts of anti-piracy measures tacked on.

In fact, those anti-piracy measures are so much of a hassle to genuine users that it often pay to buy a pirated copy. :haha: :haha:

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

The harder they make it hard to crack, the more challenging it is to crackers. :mrgreen: And the sooner people can get cracked versions. :haha:

I mean, Microsoft against the World-Wide crackers, where got fight? :think:

15. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

The WMP11 and IE7 is already cracked :haha: :haha: They are just unstoppable :haha:

16. fyire

fyire Newbie

Hmm.. 2 items of note here:

1) Genuine Users r indeed gonna find it a big big pain. Not to mention the lockdown that Vista has got is indeed making it more and more difficult for 3rd party vendors to get their software in too (perhaps we're gonna see another round of anti-trust suits from this one here?)

2) It can get to be a pain indeed to keep up with the latest cracks and so on. I'm sure there are those regulars here that will have no problem, but will the most part of the user base be the same too?

17. Adrian Wong

That's the thing... Their process is making it harder and harder for genuine users to stay genuine. In the end, this will only backfire on them.