Migrating to Australia - Thoughts & Advice?

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Dec 26, 2007.

1. pyroboy1911

pyroboy1911 Newbie

IMO, going back into medicine would make PR and income matter something less to think about.

going to Aus this feb, University of South Australia in Adelaide :D

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. That means petrol costs about AUS$1 per liter. Hey, the exchange rate is something like AUS$1 = RM 2.8-3 right now, so petrol costs about RM 3 per liter. :think:

IMHO, restricting trading hours is stupid. :think:

What do you guys do the rest of the evening and night??? :think:

3. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

FYI Adrian, the minimum wage for someone your age over there would be around A$12 per hour (maybe more? Ballpark figure) regardless of what you do. Hell, you could flip burgers in the daytime and run TechARP at night and make a decent living if you were so inclined :haha:

Perth is definitely not a place for everybody, as TF has already brought to your attention. There are plenty of other states to try though, for more activity and a wider range of establishments that open past 5pm.

Eating out is indeed very expensive so cooking at home is essential for your financial well-being. A Malaysian can definitely survive though, there are places to get pretty decent and fairly authentic Malaysian/Singaporean cuisine in all the large cities (ie. Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, etc).

I'll try to be as objective as I can here...
    Good things about Australia: Generally friendly people, the four seasons (some people like it - I'm not suited to cold or low humidity myself).
    Not so good: Booze & drug culture and all the problems it brings - fights and hooliganism, drunk driving, etc.

4. Adrian Wong

Yeah, will have to try our luck. Will be consulting a migration lawyer eventually.

Hmm.. The trouble is the Ringgint is about 1/3rd the value of the Australian dollar. I guess I will have to save up a LOT more money! :haha:

Yeah, I heard it's not cheap. Comes to about RM 18,000 (AUS$6K) just to take the exams. :mad:

I think I have TOEFL somewhere! I hope the results don't "expire". :haha:

Hmm.. I understand that Perth is hot. I would personally prefer somewhere cooler. Unfortunately, the UK is a mite far away (19+ hours by flight!) and they just closed their doors to all non-EU migrants. :(

Seriously??? I thought the Brits came up with the ceiling fan. Surely, the Australians would have them too?

Arghh... That's a potential problem. We are so used to going out until late at night... either shopping or mamaking... What do Australians do after 5???

5. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Not necessarily. I heard that the pay is pretty low. More or less similar to what government doctors here earn. :think:

6. Adrian Wong

Hi Papercut! :wave:

Well, at this time, I'm just planning for an exit strategy (George Bush should do the same! :haha: ).

I haven't been to Australia so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before I head over there for a look-see. If it's not that great, then I may have to consider a more distant destination like Canada.

Of course, I'm not looking for a place with the best of Malaysia like 365 days, late night shopping; night markets, mamak sessions, etc. :haha:

If there's such a place, I would like to settle down in a place with a reasonably cool climate, clean air and low level of crime. If I do go back into medicine, it will be at a place with a good working condition. Living costs should be reasonable, as I'm not rich to begin with... and whatever I have will be cut down to 1/3rd when I get over there! :haha:

Which part of Australia do you think I should check out? Thanks! :D

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well if Aussie it is, Aussie it is. I usually recommend my homeland... :mrgreen:

About costs, do not convert. You intend on working there so use dollar to dollar. Example: McD's meal here is around 4-6 bucks. Pretty cheap for us over here. If you convert to RM its not. But it doesn't matter. You earn in local currency. Compare that dollar to dollar with RM. A dollar here goes a LOT further then a ringgit there.

As for how things are there, it is important to remember that you are migrating to another country. Not the other way around. :mrgreen: You conform to them.

8. Brian

Brian Newbie

huh? the UK is a 12-14 hr flight away for a direct flight from KLIA to Heathrow. but yeah, there is currently an issue with immigrants, with the Conservative Party proposing a cap on the number of migrants into the UK and the government tightening regulations, and also there's a glut of junior doctors currently here

and no, I've not seen a single ceiling fan here in the UK yet

9. Adrian Wong

Thought of the US... but it's just as far as Canada, and much harder to get in! :haha:

Yeah, definitely. But the living cost is still important because I will have to plan and save ahead of any potential move.

At least for the first few months, I don't think we will be able to find any job at wherever we move to. Have to plan on some savings for that eventuality. That's where the conversion and cost of living comes in.

Yeah, of course. Same thing when I stayed in India for 3 years. It may be a culture shock initially, but I think we will adapt just fine. We survived India after all. :mrgreen:

10. Adrian Wong

Oh yeah, that is if you take the direct flight. :D

As far as doctors are concerned, the border is closed in the UK for all non-EU doctors. :wall:

My aunt is a nurse there. She flew home on Christmas night. :D

11. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Which part of Australia you go really depends on what kind of lifestyle you're seeking. Perth and Adelaide would be for a quieter outdoors-y life, Melbourne to live it up, Sydney is the business centre, etc.

Couple more things as they come to mind...a lot of Aussies couldn't spell to save their lives :p
    and they're mad about their sports like Australian football, rugby and cricket, so don't expect to hear much about the real football down there.

12. azza-bazoo

azza-bazoo Newbie

Hi guys,

One of you pinged my blog with a link about trading hours earlier in the thread. It so happens I was born in Perth but my mother is from Penang :)

It's actually not true that all of Perth is dead after 5pm, although it looks that way if you're used to night markets and megamalls. Plenty of restaurants are open till midnight (not that I ever go to them, eating out is expensive) and we have a strong local cinema and rock music scene so there are frequent concerts and showings if you know where to go. Also, most people I know use evenings to visit friends/family.

Petrol is about $1.40 per litre, the average bus fare is $3.40, mobile phone plans start at $30 per month including handset, renting a small apartment is about $240 per week and renting a house is about $400 per week. But PsYkHoTiK is right and wages here are much higher than in Malaysia, particularly if you work in an area of demand (which doesn't always require skills, e.g. lots of restaurants are short of kitchen hands).

From what I've heard it's not impossibly difficult to get work as a doctor once you're registered (details under "Medical Practitioner" at immi.gov.au/asri/ ). Although getting an Australian visa is easier if you have a job before applying.

And if there's anything else I can help with feel free to PM me.

13. pyroboy1911

pyroboy1911 Newbie

cannot be eh..lets take doctor's salary RM2500 in malaysia is like...AUSD 800 only, which is roughly 26 dollars per day. if you're working 10 hours a day, that only makes 2.6 per hour. but as stated by papercut and psykhotik, , the wage difference is too big to be true :lol: :lol: . dunno how the government doctors in Malaysia survive...

anyway, among the place you've mentioned, i still think Aus is the better place. Not too busy, also not too silence. i heard ppl say that Brisbane is hot and sunny, correct me if i'm wrong.

Adelaide is quieter, eh?

btw, i tot Aussie also starting to get the hype on football? i heard the A-League quite popular already, lol.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  14. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

How about Singapore? :D

15. Adrian Wong

Well, I don't need the night life to be honest. But if there's no where to go at night.... one can just go bonkers after some time! :haha: :haha:

So, I guess Melbourne's a good place to start?

16. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Canada? .. its gonna be super cold .. depending which part of canada.. lol stay near the lakes, sea because its more humid.

17. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

I have some relatives which moved from Canada to Malaysia. They say it is much better here. Easier to run businesses. Oh well...

18. Adrian Wong

Hi azza-bazoo! :wave:

Welcome to Tech ARP. :)

Yeah, to do that, I will have to sit for an exam. Well, we will see. If we do go, maybe Jenny will sit for it first. I'll evaluate my options. :think:

So, your family eats in all the time?

BTW, how's the public transportation? Or do you really need a vehicle?

19. Adrian Wong

Oh, no la.. I was not converting when I said that. It is about on par if you do not convert from Australian dollars to the Ringgit.

20. Adrian Wong

Singapore's possible... although I think the culture there is a little too obsessed with grades and the 7 Cs. :think: :haha: :haha: