Modded 9800xt - no video output

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by syphr, Sep 1, 2005.

1. syphr

syphr Newbie

After moding to 9800xt from 9800 Pro, it worked fine for a month or so, then produced no video output, and I doubt it even booted. After trying a number of different things, it just seemed to start working (I thought it was because I tried a different power supply connection). Now, it doesn't work again.

I used the tutorial on ARP to mod it <Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT Mod Guide Rev. 6.0!>. I have the 8x32MD DDR version with a VGA Silencer for cooling. The fan runs.

So far I have tried
    -only connecting the motherboard and videocard to the power supply (400v)
    -replacing the power suply (350v)
    -all the different connectors to the power supply

My 9200SE works fine on this system. One night I played Age of Empires, I woke up in the morning and the computer wouldn't boot. :wall: I hope this is a known bug.

2. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Hi and welcome to the ARP. ^^

Well, imo your GPU and/or MEM can't really bear it at all .. try flashing back to original BIOS (the one you should have made a backup of before flashing ^^) and check out if this error still occurs.

3. DesolataX

DesolataX Newbie

Same thing happened to me, couldn't fix it, i bought a 6600gt from a friend as a replacement... (i didn't try much to get it back and working, needed my computer too badly, anyways the 6600gt is working much better than my former 9800 pro in XT mode... very stable oc'd

4. syphr

syphr Newbie

Thanks for the replies.

I tried to boot up using a PCI card. It boots up fine when the problem video card is not in the AGP slot. I've adjusted the BIOS settings and it boots correctly with other video cards in the AGP slot.

I also tried booting up to dos and then placing the card in the AGP slot, but the flashrom program I am using cant find the problem card to flash.

Is there a linux flashrom out there, or does anyone else have any other suggestions other then trying to return it?