Monitor woes - Please help

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by lung, Mar 2, 2004.

1. lung

lung Just Started

I own an LG Flatron monitor, almost 2 years of age.

Problem occurs suddenly... Somehow image at the four corners of the screen gets fuzzy as if it's not properly focused... This also apply to certain spots in the centre of the screen.

I've tried different resolutions and refresh rates, but the problem is still there. Tried different drivers even, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Could it be the moire settings? But moire affects the entire screen, right? In my case, only the corners are blurred.

Please help. It giving me eye strains... :sick:

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

hmm .. could be monitor dying..

3. lung

lung Just Started

But it's barely 2 years old! :roll:

4. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well, the saying "Life is short" applies here I guess. :D

5. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

lung, do you use a voltage regulator?

7. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

realli look like ur monitor dying......... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: ........ur room got aircon??????.......mebbe ur monitor die earli coz not enuf cooling????? :think: :think: :think: :think:

8. lung

lung Just Started

Thanks for the links, Ishtim. I'll try them out when I get home later tonight (now in office)

zy, yes, I do use a voltage regulator.

TB, nope, my room does not have air-conditioner. But will inadequate cooling really spoil the monitor? :shock: Can't be, right? If that is the case, then they should state air-con as a requirement on the box :D

UPDATE: Ishtim, the download for the 2nd link doesn't work (http://home.iprimus.com.au/nicolae/applications/VideoTest1zip.exe). It's giving me "HTTP 404 - File not found". Do you happen to have the file? If so, can you send it to me? Thanks. As for the 1st link, is it possible to download the test?

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

LOL! That's probably why I didn't get LG in the first place! According to many, LG tends to fail under hot conditions. And looks like we have another proof here unfortunately... :(

10. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

lg monitor realli fail when hot?????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ........i not saying dat heat can make ur monitor spoil.........but my monitor realli hot.........so i use a fan 2 blow on it.......scared my monitor blow........ :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

11. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Sorry lung, I should have checked before posting. :oops:
    Are you using an LCD or CRT Flatron??? What model number? :think:
    Do you have a "focus" (convergence) control on your monitor? :think:

Here are a couple more softwares to try...
    http://www.graphicsdepot.com/mt00.html -- Online Test

The passmark test is highly regarded...
    http://www.passmark.com/products/monitortest.htm -- 30 Day trial[/quote]

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

My tagg monitor still ok. :dance:

13. lung

lung Just Started

Hmm? But it works fine for almost 2 years! And even when my room is no longer hot... The monitor still doesn't display properly :lol:

[/quote]I'm using the CRT one. Model 775FT. Nope, there is no focus control on the monitor... About those tests... What are they for, actually... I already knew that my monitor is not focusing properly, right? :)

After browsing through several websites... I think that the 'dynamic focus' thingy of my monitor has failed. I've just sent an e-mail to LG's customer support, and if that is really the case, looks like I don't have much choice other than to send it for repair... Or buy a new one :(

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Got warrantee what. :D

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

LG only provides 1 year warranty if I'm not mistaken! :)

16. phatboydu

phatboydu Newbie

sigh

yeah i think your monitor is dead.. mine experienced a similar problem, but the four corners were like flickering.. kinda of like when your refresh rate is really low..

i shook the crap out of it, but it didn't do anything. i guess the best thing to do is to have fun looking for new monitors...

17. lung

lung Just Started

2 years. But I lost my receipt :cry:

18. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Next time put all receipts at one place. 8)

19. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

These tests are designed mostly for troubleshooting and adjustment to "fine tune" the monitor. All along I was hoping you had a was of adjusting focus. I looked at the manual for your monitor and it is one of the few LG monitors that do NOT have a focus adjustment. Usually what happens id the "electron gun" gets lazy and you have to re-adjust, but more and more of the electronics available today are "disposable" if you consider the cost of repair is almost the same as new equipment. :cry:

Looks like time to go shopping! :wall: :wall: :wall:

20. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

if ur monitor spoil coz 2 hot........dun think cooling it now can help larrrr......... :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: