Motherboard Upgrading

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by miahman, Apr 20, 2008.

1. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Here's a nice little utility which will help you find the CD Key of your Windows XP .

Download the attached file,extract it & just run the file to find your XP CD key.Hope it helps. :)

Attached Files:

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

That doesn't sound right the Dell systems come pre-installed as well but they should at least provide a key :think:

3. miahman

miahman Newbie

i haven't checked the back of my pc yet.

but if it does have a key, will i be able to download XP and then use that key??

@callofduty05:
    your reputation si putting me off from trying the link you provided sorry.

4. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

It's not made by me man.I also have a direct download link for it.Ok if you don't want me to help you in this case, it's fine but that file which i've attached for you is not virus or fake.It's your choice though that if you want to download it or not. :| I was just trying to help you.That's all. :wall:

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  5. miahman

miahman Newbie

lol i downloaded it and then scanned it. it was fine. extracted it and says no files to extract. :clap:

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I remember I moved from AXP -> A64 -> P4 -> A64 platform without reinstalling OS :haha:

All I did was uninstall all drivers before shutting down and moving to the other platform, once moved to a different platform, boot into safe mode, reboot again into normal mode and install drivers.

So yeah, it does work, but not always guaranteed :mrgreen:

EDIT: Wait... it's actually AXP -> A64 -> P4 -> A64 -> C2D :haha: The current OS that I'm still using right now :haha:

7. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

It should have worked.I myself have tested that before attaching the file.i've tested it even after you told me it's not workin'.It's still workin' for me.

Anyways, here's the direct download link :-

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/zips/kf151.zip

Also if you wanna know more about this product in detail, go here :- http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ViewKeyXP.htm

This is the perfect solution for your problem my friend.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Eh, yeah, that works quite often... but not if you change from a non-ACPI motherboard to an ACPI motherboard, or vice versa.

9. miahman

miahman Newbie

thats a lot of technical stuff to remember and the only abbreviation i understood was P4=Pentium 4
    other than that i am lost

@cod05:
    it wrked this time around.
    so wat do i do with it?

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

AXP = Athlon XP
    A64 = Athlon 64
    C2D = Core 2 Duo

11. miahman

miahman Newbie

you chnged between all those different types of mobo with the same OS. cool

btw what would happen if it didn't work and failed

12. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Check your PM.

13. miahman

miahman Newbie

checked it. thanks

14. Adrian Wong

Then you need to do a repair-install.

15. miahman

miahman Newbie

wouldn't that be restricted to the original mobo only and not the new one?

16. Adrian Wong

No. Why should it be?

17. miahman

miahman Newbie

i dont know. i was just wondering lol

so with packard bell would heat be its 'recovery program' (restores to factory state)

so would that install XP onto my new mobo?

EDIT: that 'heat' wa ssupposed to be 'it' lol

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  18. Adrian Wong

Even if the original hard drive in the Packard Bell has a recovery option, it would not be advisable to use it to reinstall Windows XP because it would normally be customized for your Packard Bell PC. Dashken would be able to confirm this.

It would be better to just reinstall Windows XP using a standard CD and use your OEM key. Just make sure you have the latest drivers, including those of the new motherboard ready.

19. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Hmm, thats weird. That means i think the pc comes with recovery programs like most OEM pc has. I think your only option is to get another copy of Windows.

20. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Yeah use that OEM key with a copy of XP after you've upgraded your mobo. :)