My Experience As A House Officer

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Thanks! :mrgreen:

I hope it works out! :mrgreen:

2. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Haha! Be a rebel, Adrian! :thumb:

3. Andrew

Andrew Newbie

This is shocking. But I guess if it's what you really want to do, and if you're really, really sure about it, or really, really made up your mind about it, then I'll wish you all the best in your future ventures. Let us know how your meeting with the deputy director goes.

4. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

All the best, Adrian! :)

Sometimes these so called "reckless" decisions turn out to be blessings :)

Most important part is that you should love what you do.. this article should inspire you :)

Article - "You've Got To Find What You Love"

2 people like this.
  5. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. It appears that they don't really want to let me go. They think it's a waste if I just leave the profession. :think:

They are offering me a transfer to the Kuala Pilah General Hospital, which is 60km away. Near Seremban. That means a commute of about an hour. :think:

Nah... I think I've just about had it with medicine. :hand: But it was certainly very nice of them. They were really quite concerned.

6. angel1011

angel1011 Baby-DeeNoo

so how was the meeting?? did you all talked about the psychotics??:p

7. Adrian Wong

That was it... He just offered me a transfer to Kuala Pilah GH.

Aihhh... It was a very generous gesture. I have to consider it. :wall:

I did mention the bad working environment. The way people were treating us like dogs, etc. I hope things change for my colleagues still suffering in that department.

8. GarPhreak

GarPhreak Newbie

:shock: Whoa... That's really... Whoa... :shock:

Well I'd be surprised if they showed an opposite reaction and were eager to get rid of you instead! :haha: Of course naturally they'd think it's a waste for you to quit, it isn't exactly all the rage among fresh med grads, I would think! :shock: :haha:

The decision is yours to make tho', and we'll support you no matter what! :thumb:

One hour travel to work and one hour travel back = 2 hours per day wasted on the road... :roll: :lol:

9. digitalvoice

digitalvoice Newbie

Do they mean it's a waste after so many years spent learning med or do they mean it's a great loss with one imminent all rounder doc in the making calling it quit...I wonder. :think:

I think it's good that someone like you opened their eyes on what's happening and hopefully, those egomaniacs will toe the line and others like you are guided to become good future doctors.

After reading your experience, I think they created a really bad image for themselves and would be doctors will be easily put off if they've known. There's a great need for them to change their bloody attitude! I feel sad. :(

...but I feel good that someone stood up to wake them up! :thumb: Way to go Adrian!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

10. orangutan

orangutan Newbie

I hv been a practising pharmacist for 20 years and i got quite a few Dr friends. most of them just cant wait to finish the compulsory govt services.many parents would pressure their children into this so called noble profession but later find that they hv to slog thr this inhuman cond. most thinking that coming out into the private practice would earn them big money but in reality they find that most choicest location already taken and hv to settle for new housing estates, some operating up to 24 hrs due to high overhead.If u want a reasonable comfortable life then u hv to bear with it for the next few years ! what the family opinion anyway ?

1 person likes this.
  11. Andrew

Andrew Newbie

I don't mean to sound like a voice of opposition in this, and truly, it's not my intention to be one. Of course, what ever decision Adrian makes, I'll support him and his site all the same.

But sometimes, we have to consider that a comfortable life doesn't come over night. Take me for example. I struggled for six years to get to get a job position that's offering me a reasonably comfortable life. Before that, for more than a decade, I was stuck in a no-future, no-prospect desk job. It was only during these last six years that my hardwork and perseverance paid off.

But even so, I was like a salmon swimming upstream, being bombarded by rocks, debris and other obstacles. I was sacked once, cheated and conned by people whom I regarded as friends, and even threathened with an end to my career. But I persevered, and finally made it to calm water. But even till today, obstacles still lie ahead, and my journey is not yet complete.

My point is this; obstacles and hindrances will always be in our paths. Some worse than others. While people may regard them as problems, I prefer to look at them as challenges. It's how we emerge from these challenges that determine how big a person we are or how strong a character we possess.

In any case, since Adrian has made his decision, I'll respect that decision, and wish him all the best in his future undertakings and plans.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
    2 people like this.
  12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

But we have to keep in mind also that we only live once. If we can have a go at our dream, why not? Not everyone has that opportunity. Most of the times, people wait whole life for a chance, but in the end, there was none. :D

Don't tell me we create our own opportunity... sometimes, we can't. :mrgreen:

13. Jet

Jet Just Started

OH MY GOD!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
    That is the biggest suprise i had for this week.. :shock:

Does it really worth to quit just like that, after so many year of study??

14. Adrian Wong

LOL! You didn't know?? :haha:

Well, if they don't want people to quit, they should consider treating house officers with at least some modicum of humanity, if not respect.

We are humans too, not slaves. :hand:

15. Adrian Wong

I think it's the former. :haha:

Seriously, I try not to let anyone know about my "outside activities". After all, it has virtually no bearing on the medical profession. :mrgreen:

I don't think I can do anything to change the policies there. But they did say they will definitely look into it. They were surprised actually... because no one ever complained about this before. :wall:

IMHO, we are all adults.. and professionals at that. It's about time for doctors to treat each other with some humanity and respect. If they can talk nicely to their patients, why not their fellow colleagues? :roll:

16. Adrian Wong

Ahhh... I think pharmacy is a smarter choice. :thumb:

My family thinks I'm nuts, of course. But since that's "normal" for me, they didn't put up much of a fight. :mrgreen:

So, they have more or less come to accept the fact that I will never become a "real" doctor. :think:

But frankly, I really have a lot of other dreams to achieve. I intend to work through them one by one. Hopefully, I can achieve all of them before my time's up. :mrgreen:

If I were to stick to medicine, I'm pretty sure I will be so stuck doing medicine that I will never achieve any of my other dreams. :think:

17. angel1011

angel1011 Baby-DeeNoo

wishing you all the best boss!!! :clap:

18. Adrian Wong

Hello Andrew,

You wouldn't be the last to tell me that. :mrgreen:

TBH, my life has never been easy. Whatever I do, I had to work hard to achieve anything even moderately successful. But that's okay.

Personally, job satisfaction is VERY important for me. I don't mind surviving on less, as long as I like doing what I do.

Also, I have quite a few unfulfilled dreams. If I stick to medicine, I will not have the opportunity to give them a try.. possibly forever. Inertia is always a danger.

That's why I decided to strike out and take the path less travelled. Will I be successful or will I fail? I will never know unless I try. And if I don't give it a try, I will always regret it. ;)

19. Adrian Wong

Yeah, we only live once. So, why not give it a shot? :mrgreen:

Well, if we do not like the situation we are in, we can always try changing it. At least give it your best shot. :thumb:

20. Adrian Wong

Is it worth it? Well, to me, it is. But it's different for everyone. We all have to make our own choices. That's really the only freedom we have.