My old cpu, How low can you go?

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Trinity, May 8, 2005.

1. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

My current primary PC is my laptop - an old PII 366MHz Dell. The processor is probably this one. The laptop itself is rapidly approaching it's sixth year and I am sometimes amazed I still use it, or that it still works. Much as I continually suffer in pain at its incredible lack of speed when I use it, I also think of how much I have invested in it - I have a docking station, a couple of spare batteries, a few optical drives and even a second hard disk module for it. Then the screen acts up (a result of a little fall it had in 2003, I think) and I have to twist the entire screen to get a readable display, and I tell myself that I'll jump on the next good laptop deal I see...

2. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

LOL. stole from your aunt!! poor thing. now she can't have a lan party with her neighbours. no more midnight virtual mahjong. :haha:

3. GammaRay

GammaRay Newbie

Gentlemen, behold! The Dinosaur!

Our first computer, codename: Dinosaur. 80386SX 33. 4 MB RAM. Oh yeah, feel the burn.

Second computer: 80486 Overdrive. 192 MB RAM.

Third computer: PII 333 MHz, Slot 1. 256 MB PC100.

Number 3 (called the "Incus") is still up and running Win98SE. I'll bet even the Dinosaur would still be functional, but we sold it...but that 486 Overdrive was no fun. The Incus was also the first computer we had with *gasp* an AGP card! A whopping 8 MB Matrox card.

1 person likes this.
  4. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

192MB RAM on a 486!? :shock:

5. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

just got an AMD K6III 466MHz from my fren, 8GB HDD, 128MB SDRAM

will format it and run some basic program, like chatting program and other program so that i can play game and watch movie on my main PC and do other thing as well :haha:

6. GammaRay

GammaRay Newbie

Yeah, that's what the boot-up screen said on that old thing. The guy that we bought it from ran a computer store. When we bought it, he had his lackey put it together for him. Turned out that the guy screwed us over with a 486SX. The owner felt terrible, and the lackey was fired shortly thereafter. He gave us lots of personal help and good deals on stuff for years to come, including the 486 Overdrive and all that RAM.

I have to say, it did run Doom II nicely though.

7. zachig

zachig Newbie

I used to have a shoe-box sized External H.D of 20MB!!!

And, just to think that at that time, i thought it is way far TOO MUCH :haha:

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i never used a shoebox size hard disk before..
    even on the 386 .. mine was already 3.5" hard disk

9. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

This is drifting a little OT, but this talk of hard disks makes me think of the transition I made from a 40MB Conner (which, when I gave it away about 4-5 years ago, still worked!!!) to a 270MB Maxtor. I could not for the life of me figure out what to do with all that space... Now I look at my 250GB drive and wonder how long it'll take me to fill it up :).

Component-wise I have parts from some really, really old computers that predate many of the items mentioned in this thread. My old Mac Plus (8MHz and 1MB RAM!!!!) still sits silently somewhere, yellowed with age but filled with memories. A machine I still admire for it's graphics abilities (which I believe were well ahead of any PC when it was new), it's use of the then-new Sony 3.5" floppy disks, brilliant packaging and so many other nifty little features that make me look fondly upon Macs till this day.

My father seems to have me beat though - he still has an Apple II, and an Apple IIc! Whether they work is quite another matter though :p.

1 person likes this.
  10. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Give me pictures man!!! :) :wave: :thumb:

11. GarPhreak

GarPhreak Newbie

The RAM... just like my old PC, just prior to my current one! :haha:

Your 2nd computer has more RAM than my current one!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

Any chance you'll be coming to Malaysia? :pray:
    That stick would triple my RAM! :drool:

12. shiroamada

shiroamada Newbie

ur 486 still not bad, mine only can run for windows 3.11. can please some old game.. My 486 only got 4mb RAM. 100MB hdd..

13. Ject

Ject Newbie

Couldn't find the link on that page but one of my pcs has an old k6 running 100mhz and 64mb RAM running Windows 3.1. (Still use it tho)

I use to have an old Comadore 64 but I gave it to a brother in law or something. (still works or atleast did when I had it)

14. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Sold on eBay already...got me $37 :haha:

15. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

Alas, all the really old stuff in my household is in storage some distance away. I don't think I can snap any pictures of the old Apple equipment :).

I do have plenty of junk nearby though...hmmm....I think I still have a box of old processors somewhere. Let the rummaging begin!

16. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

well it was runnign windows 3.11 and DOS but then i upgraded it to win 95

17. Fabulous

Fabulous Newbie

i still got a pentium 2 200 mhz comp. if i remember right i bought the whole package bak in the late 90s for a whooper $2000 canadian. i think i was on drugs.

18. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Have you see the great senior Panasonic Single Speed CD-ROM?
    Oh man, it doesn't have automatic loading tray. Juuuust a caddy, and sometimes this thing tend to snap my fingers when I load the caddy into the CD-ROM drive. Single Speed runs very slow - but sounds great with Audio-CDs..... I remembered it took an hour to install Office 97 into the 486 computer.... :D

19. wodenus

wodenus Banned

You think you were on drugs ? the 8088 we bought way back then cost about the same.. 4.77 MHz (8 Mhz turbo mode), 128K RAM (IIRC), two floppies and no hard disk. :)

20. Aion-X

Aion-X Newbie

I just check my room which once my bros'. I just found a 386 kept in the box. So, I fire it up. it still up, running MS DOS 6.0.