My old cpu, How low can you go?

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Trinity, May 8, 2005.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I had a similar PC back then, but it was 640KB RAM...

2. GarPhreak

GarPhreak Newbie

So fast? Dang! :wall:

:roll:

3. perry111

perry111 Newbie

I have a 233mhz (p2) laptop with 144mb of ram, and a 400mhz celeron.

4. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Which ought to be enough for anybody :mrgreen:

5. MobyDick

MobyDick Newbie

Still have a Pentium 233Mhz 2GB HDD 64 mb ram Win 98 running a Lan card through my home network now. Pretty fast on the net lol :dance: . Tried pushing the FSB up to boot it to 300Mhz :doh:, can't boot, other than that it's bloody stable at 233Mhz. My other old rig which still functions is a Pentium 166Mhz 1.2GB HDD 64 mb ram Win 98. Must be the dinosour in me from my past era as I'm trying to source parts, put together & fire up a P3 Slot 1 550Mhz. :nuts:

6. amhso

amhso Newbie

I have a 350mhz pentium II running off a 4.5 gb harddrive. (Linux)

I also have a 450mhz pentium II running off 17gb harddrive (linux)

and an Athlon XP 950+ (k7) with a 27gb and 17gb harddrive (linux)

the only rig i have running windows is my main own in my sig.

7. i had an old 66mhz computer, but my dad threw it away, it was broken anyway. but we still playing games on it
    go Commander Keen!

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Man Commander keen was so cool... :p I loved playing commander keen when I was a lil kid.. :p

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

10. amhso

amhso Newbie

I used to get Cyrix processers for free. Boxes of 100's daily. My dad used to be a manager there. We got hella mobo's too. House was full of PC's by 1995, just I was a lil kid and didn't know squat so i just stuck with MS Paint.

11. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Ooh, I see. So you still have tons of Cyrix processors over at your house? You could turn 'em into workable computers, which can be donated to charity or stuff like that.... Great to see these Cyrix classics... :D

12. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

As long as you don't try running games with them .. ^^

13. The_YongGrand

Yeah, just like Winchip or something else.... They won't work on games properly, I heard.... :D

14. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

I overclocked my "old" cpu from a stock 1200mhz up to 1333mhz. The ram stays at stock 133mhz.

The results...

Up ten 3d marks to 1228 3d marks... Only ten more marks! :doh: (2003)edition

Ten more FPS, Up to 123 fps at quake 3 1024/768 max settings. Ten more frames... :doh:

And my avg. cpu temp is up to 45deg about five/seven deg. higher underload then before. (at least not ten)! :doh:

And up about 2-3 deg. to 40deg. at idle.

Seems stable though. :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  15. Trinity

And I got 7107 on 3d mark 2001se. About 100 marks more. :)

16. amhso

amhso Newbie

Oh the cyrix processors were dumped T.T like 5 years ago when I moved. I believe my dad got transferred when cyrix got bought by National Semi-Conducter and AMD. A lot of AMD's current workers used to be from Cyrix....my dad got sent to national....

And the cyrix processors could run games and browse web. but not games by modern standards...it could run doom (the first doom) extremely slowly and pacman and a game called sokuban. I played them when I was like 4.

17. Stephenishere

Stephenishere Newbie

heh im not that old... i just remember our first computer was over 2k and only was like 400 mhz (WE HAD A CDROM!!!) and we had 56k which the modem was the size of a 7800 GTX and louder than my speakers................. Ahh the good ol times........(COULD Barely run 16 bit apps...) but i started on 98 so im not that old..........(Im only 16 lol )

18. amhso

amhso Newbie

I can't overclock my older computers. My t-bird 950+ only has 2 overclock settings for fsb in the bios. 100/133 in percents. so...i can go to almost 1.2...but it doesn't work, the computer just blows...shuts itself off and I have to get the bios jumper.

19. Trinity

:roll: To bad... :doh:

I thought about trying for 1.4g. But I don't wanna push my luck.

20. The_YongGrand

Oh, just recenly refurbished my friend's Pentium II 350MHz PC.

It's still good, and I slapped it with 128MB RAM. Wao, it's fast for Win98. Heh. :D