My sis buying a tablet

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by PowerSlide, Oct 18, 2011.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

and i recommend her ipad2 instead of android and im not even a apple fan:mrgreen:

Main usage is for her son(4 months old) to start learning things. Foolproof, alot of apps, smooth and for fun use its just perfect.

Ordered the 16gb wifi only model, cant wait playing it..1st apple product in our house :haha:

2. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I still prefer Ipad/Ipad2 cause it's just the right size and shape. A lot of apps to play with, even more if you *ahem*. My only regret is that I bought a 16gb model WIFI, I boss has the 64GB 3G model, and he is really enjoying if, imagine running GPS on it :).

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Both products are equally good, whether it's an Ipad or an Android. :)

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The iPad 2 is a great tablet. Just right in size, especially for kids.

But a word of advice - limit his playtime with her iPad. At his age, he should learn to play with physical objects.

5. The_YongGrand

I would say too about the kids and tablet computer nowadays. Those gadgets aren't suppose to replace physical activity or communication.

Saw many young parents with young kids and they are getting iPads really quickly. I wonder whether did the parents monitor the usage, or just to be their next baby-sitter? :think:

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I saw on TV not too long ago, saying taht kids under 2 does not benefit from watching TV. That could apply to tablets as well? :think:

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

One of the biggest problem with Android tablets is the crappy UI that most manufacturers are so obsessed with. They are slow and laggy, especially on the first gen with single core processors.

Thankfully Transformer is one of the few that doesn't add their own UI. Well, you can flash different ROMs on your own if you know what you are doing.

One of the biggest advantage of iOS is still the wide selection of apps. That will remain unbeatable for a long time IMO.

8. The_YongGrand

I agree on that. Since Android is customizable, many manufacturers take the liberty of modifying it in their own ways.

My Transformer is just pure and it work as it should. Not sure about the Acer Iconia - heard a lot of grouses on the UI itself.

The iOS has many nice games for it. Even GTA3 (tablet version coming soon) is being redone on the tablet as well. :)

9. Chai

My phone is currently running on modified Nexus One based ROM, and it is fantastically fast. Even HTC Desire HD users were impressed by how fast and smooth my stock Android is.

I have tried SGS2 as well, although it is quite fast, but it is not as smooth as it could be.

10. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

didnt reach yet though, ordered monday night but should reach tomorrow

but i suspect my sis buy ipad not her her son but own use :mrgreen:

11. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. It's very common. Use the son as excuse but fully intending to use it herself. :thumb:

12. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

today whole day ask her son to sleep while my sis play the ipad :haha:

1st thing sucks is that no flash, cant play flash games and i cant watch online streaming

13. Chai

Hmm...I don't think you can play flash game easily on tablet, even if it's on Android. And I'm not sure how good the online streaming will work, because it can get quite slow on phones.

14. Adrian Wong

You can watch YouTube or any website that supports HTML5 video streaming. In fact, you can watch Chinese videos via that Chinese video streaming app (I forgot the name) that every Chinese fella is so crazy about.

15. The_YongGrand

Oh, they really made those already? The app starts with a 'P'. It hogs a lot of bandwidth, from what I know. :haha:

And I do not use the app or even watched anything on it. It's hard to install and since I don't know any Mandarin, I didn't bother much with it. :)

16. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I tried a few, seems 搜狐 is the best for me. Tested one app while I was in China damn good, but will only work in china.

17. Chai

I'm not sure if other streaming sites like Vimeo or Daily Motion supports HTML5. Youtube is not a problem since there's a dedicated app anyway.

18. Adrian Wong

Yeah, not many sites support HTML5 video streaming yet.

19. innoweb

innoweb Newbie

i am still on doubts of buying too..think think think....

20. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

online streaming watch f1 is one of my important thing to do but since ipad cant its useless

another thing though, watch youtube is so slow..2min vid takes 10 to 15min to finish loading..wonders whats wrong

well honestly tablet is really not my thing, its just constantly zoom in zoom out all the time viewing a page or to click/touch on something..tablet doesnt really giving me much fun compare to others lol