NEC E6000 Sudden Death, auto turn off after Installed IGP driver (Driver)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by alyy8128, Jul 22, 2010.

1. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

:nuts:

Recently my NEC E6000 faced with this weird problem. It will auto turn-off by itself, not proper shutdown by XP. Just off like that. It is a fresh format HDD, so we exclude the VIRUS problem.

After second time we re-format the HDD, we found out the problem will happen after we installed the ATI Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP drivers. The auto-turn off will not occur in Safe Mode, nor if we do not install the IGP driver.

We download the IGP driver from NEC-asia website. Other devices are fine now. Except the VGA controller.

Hope anyone can give some idea how to solve it.

It is a laptop:
    - running with Windows XP (We had tried SP2 and SP3).
    - 1.7Ghz Centrino Processer
    - 512MB RAM
    - ATI Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP.

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Check the heat sink to see if there's pile of dust inside it?

Shine a light through the inlet and look from the outlet of the heatsink.

Could be a failing hard disk too.

I remember installing XP on a laptop with failing hard disk. Whenever I install the graphic driver, windows always screw up.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  3. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

It is quite a weird designed laptop, with only Fan Outlet but no Fan Inlet. We did disassembled the whole laptop, and found this. Since it does not have air inlet, there are no noticeable dust stuck the heat sink.

After we disassemle the laptop, the CPU is not feeling extreme hot. So we assumed that it has no CPU overheat problem.

It is hard to believe it is hardisk failure, since they are 2 independent component in the laptop.

But it worth to try. I'll try to get another HDD to test.

Else I'm just thinking to put Win7 to test. Since we can't find another driver from the web. The default driver from MS for XP is just ..... too slow. But i'm doubt this Laptop can run the 7.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It is usually a hardware problem. Machines don't power down by itself, not even the OS.

5. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

If hardware problem, it normally will either not power up, or will shut down at any of the time. But this laptop, the problem only occur after install the VGA driver.

Now it running with default Windows driver, and no turn-off suddenly. The drawback is we can't run any graphic intensive software.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Weird.. Have you tried alternative ATI drivers from other sources (not NEC)?

The notebook should not have any problem running Windows 7. In fact, I highly recommend installing Windows 7 to give it a new lease in life.

7. Chai

In my day to day job, we would often point to hardware problems for the following issues:

- Cannot wake up from sleep
    - Sudden power shutdown

But since you have found the cause, then that's most likely the case then.

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I like windows 7. My approaching 4year old laptop runs windows 7 x64 version without problem, and Dell doesn't support Windows 7 nor x64 vista/7 on it.

Loaded most of the driver. Only 2 drivers didn't load which is the card reader & webcam.

On my desktop, it loads all the driver. Didn't have to install/download additional drivers.

9. Adrian Wong

Yeah, Windows 7 works great on older notebooks. In fact, they should feel much faster, especially on notebooks with 512 MB or 1 GB of RAM.

10. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

I'm tried to look for it at AMD website. However, at the end of the search, it said:

"The display driver supplied by the laptop manufacturer is customized for the built-in flat panel display, and the graphics features and functions specific to the laptop. It is strongly recommended to use the supplied drivers. "

Any recommendation site for alternate drivers?

We supposed that is the main cause, but we still can't find a good solution for it.

Thanks for the advise. Will find a day to give it a try, if still can't solve the driver problem.

11. Chai

Do you remember where did you download the drivers from before you format the Windows?

There's still a chance of hardware problem since you can't "stress" the IGP.

12. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

I'm not sure who installed the driver in the first place.

It is really hard to tell whether it is the hardware problem for a laptop.

Anyway, the laptop had been sent to the shop for repair by its owner. Let's wait and see the result in few days time.

13. Adrian Wong