need some views from the pro's about HDD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SkylineRemix, Dec 30, 2007.

1. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

The situation is like this,

I have a 250GB Sata Harddisk (C:) and a 40GB IDE Harddisk (D:).
    Currently the OS is running on the Sata Harddisk.
    What i want to do is to transfers the OS to the 40GB Harddisk so that i'll have more backup storage space.

What i've done until now:
    I've installed windows yesterday on the IDE Harddisk but that drive is known as F:.
    So now i have 2 harddisk each having their own OS.
    Is there any solutions for me to change the windows drive in the IDE Harddisk from F: to C:?
    And the Sata Harddisk is categorize as C at that moment:

One more thing,

If i remove the SATA Harddisk and reinstall Windows again on the IDE Harddisk as C:, will my Sata Harddisk unable to detect when using the windows in IDE? Or will anything crash on both Harddisk?

That's all and Thanks ^_^

If you're confused with what i'm posting here, you can contact me via MSN Messenger.
    My MSN e-mail address is: [email protected]

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

What operating system did you install on both hard drives?? :think:

3. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Best solution IMHO, is to remove the sata drive. reinstall windows on the 40GB harddisk (although I think it's too small to be the system drive these days).
    Then plug back the 250GB SATA. But before booting up, make sure to set the boot up priority in the BIOS to boot up the IDE drive 1st. That would boot the OS on the 40GB one which should now be C drive as well.

Then in Windows, see if the 250GB hard disk shows up in My Computer. If not, then go into computer management console and check the disk manager to see if it is registered with a valid drive letter. Once you check on that and make sure the settings are right, you can then see the disk and you can go ahead and delete the windows dir on your 250GB hard disk,

But seriously, isn't it just easier to get a new 250GB hard disk for extra space? Or perhaps a 500GB one which costs about RM380 now? 40GB is cutting it quite tight for your system drive and you would need to move all your documents directory and even install apps into the other drive.

4. Adrian Wong

I agree. :think:

5. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Well... poor man here don't have money to upgrade harddisk space...
    But i did plan to install unnecessary applications to the other harddisk like NFS and Maple Story... ^_^

Both Windows XP

6. Adrian Wong

Well, if you are installing Windows XP on both hard drives, it should be able to detect the extra installation and give you to option to choose which you want to boot up with.

After you install and transfer the data, you can wipe the second hard drive to store your files. But Ken's method is faster and better IMHO.

7. peaz

I would still seriously suggest getting another hard disk. Never hurts to have more hard disk space/

8. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I would say use a partition manager to do the fallowing.
    1. make a second partition on the 250GB drive. Move all important/wanted data to it.
    2. VERIFY YOU HAVE EVERYTHING.
    3. wipe out the first partition on the 250, and then expand the second partition to take up the whole drive.
    4. Re-install Windows on the 40GB.
    You can also make an un-attended install disk just for the setup. It would really help with time. Nlite OS is a great help for getting it right and easly.

As for 40GB not being enough for a system drive, it depends on what's being installed, and the OS version. For my sister a 40GB is fine total. It's very user dependent.

9. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Well... eveybody knows that... heee ^_^
    I'll consider getting one after i receive my salary....

btw, i want to ask... how to create partition? most of the time i install windows, i couldn't find the part where i can split into 2 partitions.....

10. Adrian Wong

You can't "split" a partition in the Windows XP installation routine. You can create multiple partitions.

Just delete the current single partition in that drive, and create two new partitions.

11. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

eh peaz... 500 GB HDD at RM 380 now meh? Which brand you're talking about?

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

500GB WD is only at RM350, SATA.

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I want to say something here. But seems like everything is said already.. Ohh... get 500GB or 750GB! :mrgreen:

14. peaz

get two 500GB :D the best 'deal' already. Hmmm I'm considering it myself.

15. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

OMG! so cheap now :drool:

16. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

what about seagate? and erm... which brand would be better? i personally prefer Seagate....

17. Chai

I personally prefer what ever is the best. WD500 is one of the faster 7200rpm drives, and it's very quiet too.

18. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Nowadays, both Seagate and WD are comparable. Not like the old days of WD. :D

19. Chai

I have good experience with WD, but very bad with Seagate... :haha:

So it's all about luck actually. But if the Seagate is the best one right now, I would still get Seagate. Too bad their last quiet drive is Barracuda IV, which is like 4 years old now?

20. Adrian Wong

After another round of Intel Core 2 benching, I will be doing a hard drive round-up. But I currently only have Seagate hard drives... Anyone wanna loan or give me their hard drives??? :wicked: