need some views from the pro's about HDD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SkylineRemix, Dec 30, 2007.

1. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

ya... probably i should be the one asking the same question too...

2. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Which one are you talking about? WD Caviar?

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

WD Caviar SE16, WD5000AAKS to be exact.

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Yes. no need to think so much already. just go ahead and get it!

5. cvasquez

cvasquez Newbie

It's not just about Hard Drive space here also. The older Hard Drive with 40 Gigs of RAM will be surpassed in loading speed by the SATA so it would be preferable to purchase another SATA for Operating System. Load times will be faster.

Western Digital Hard Drives are good but when compared to Seagate WD is just not up to par. Unless you are purchasing a RAPTOR from WD.

Here is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.1 250GB for $69.00.
    Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Good luck.:)

6. Chai

7. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

just got my harddisk today at RM340. Haven't install yet... but soon i think... anyway... Does SATA consume more power or IDE consume more power? I have plans to kick off the 40GB and keep only the 250GB and 500GB. Need advice... again...

8. Chai

It should be the same.

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

No significant difference AFAIK.

10. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

I need HELP!! to create partition.... Someone.... guide me...!!! please.... *_*

11. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

What operating system are you using?

12. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

You can do the partitioning and formatting in windows. Go control panel > administrative tools > computer management > disk management.

Select your new hard drive, create partitions, then format.

13. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

what is allocation unit size? They seem to give me something like: Default, 512, 1024,... ..., 32k, 64k... what does that mean?

14. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

It's how the space is organized and used by files. Using default is usually the best option for beginners, and honestly it tends to be the best option in most situations anyway.
    IE : If the allocation of the partition is 4K, then a file between 1 byte and 4K will use the same amount of space on the disk. If a file is larger, then it uses the next cluster until it reaches the proper amount. Best space conservation is the smallest size. If you use bigger files a lot, then a larger allocation size will offer less fragmentation and can offer some minor performance boosts.

15. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

i'll be using XP on 250GB and the other 500GB for Vista. Now i'm dealing with 500GB.

4k is 4000 bytes right?
    a bit blurred actually...
    I heard of this Software called Partition Magic. Does it help much?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  16. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

One more question:

I just check my Disk Management just now... and erm... the 250GB Harddisk is known as Basic while the 500GB is known as Dynamic... what's the difference between Basic and Dynamic? (Oh... btw, windows is in C Drive which is the 250GB)

17. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Big math thing, I still think it's weird. You ever wonder why when you format a drive or disk that it's not the same size as advertised? This is why. It was decided to do things in in 2's a while ago, so space is allocated out in 2 ways. 1, the physical way, counts things exact where 1k is equal to 1000 bytes. The virtual way counts 1k as 1024 bytes. Always like that.
    Partition Magic is only worth it if you want to change a partition without havening to completely delete and remake it.
    Basic is just that, basic. Dynamic, well, here is a paste from the help file. "Dynamic disks provide features that basic disks do not, such as the ability to create volumes that span multiple disks (spanned and striped volumes), and the ability to create fault tolerant volumes (mirrored and RAID-5 volumes). All volumes on dynamic disks are known as dynamic volumes."

18. Adrian Wong

Use Basic unless you need to create RAID-type of arrays.

19. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Partition done... with some help from one of my friend.

So in my case, i should set both to basic? Especially the 500GB one which is currently Dynamic.

20. Adrian Wong

Well, if you have no data in there, sure.