New build for next year, basic info wanted.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1031982, Nov 2, 2008.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

All currency is meant to be seen as USD.
    Ok, I am building a new PC next year (hopefully...) and I would like to know the fallowing info.
    All good Motherboard makers. As far as features and specs, I can go from there.
    I know ASUS and Gigabyte are good, but the more names the better for comparison and costs. :thumb:

The most powerful thing I will use it for is HD video watching, so I would like to know a MINIMAL CPU speed to start out with. I am thinking a dual core at about the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+, but I am not locked onto AMD or that model.

Any decent/OK video card will work just fine obviously.

Now that that's been said, I have a budget. I would like to spend around $400 max, but can go to about $500. I do plan on getting a board that supports a lot for future upgrades. I plan on starting with 2GB RAM, and I am going to be running Windows XP Pro, NOT Vista. At least for now...

The fallowing will be moved form my PC now :
    Sound card, HDD's, FDD, optical drives, video capture card, and anything external. That's 2 PCI devices.

I am thinking about getting a new PSU as well, I have the ThermalTake PurePower 560W. The only reason is for the multiple 12V rails. I am not sure if I really need one, but it's out there.

For the purpose of estimated cost (if needed) here is what I will NEED to get for the build :
    MOBO
    RAM
    CPU
    Video

What I am thinking about are as fallows :
    PSU
    Case

Now, for the explanation of why this is happening :
    My board's thermal censor is a little wacky now, and it keeps alerting me to a CPU overheat. The board will also shutdown if needed. It never shuts down, as there is no real issue. Never the less, it's a high pitched beep from the PC speaker, and it's mounted on the board. I can't have this happening because of location, so I have my CPU underclocked to a 1500+ for now. Much slower with things, and real annoying.
    This is as of now the ONLY issue. I clean my system out once a year, meaning I pull everything out and dust it. I did this earlier, with no luck. I also checked for an updated BIOS.

On the plus side, I will be selling my RAM, and Video card to help pay the cost of the new system. If I get a new PSU, I will sell that as well.

2. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

mobo: Newegg.com - MSI P43 Neo3-F LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
    video: Newegg.com - XFX PVT84JUDF3 GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
    ram: 2x FRYS.com*|*CRUCIAL
    cpu: FRYS.com*|*Intel
    psu: Newegg.com - Rosewill RX750-S-B 750W ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 SLI 8800GTX SLI CrossFire Ready Active PFC PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies (overkill?)
    not so sure with the board though, some can be downgrade for better cost :mrgreen:

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

4. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Lol, I hope it's realised I want to have a good board, and close to minimal components to start with. I plan to upgrade down the line.
    Is Intel really that much beter in terms of playing HD media, and do I really need that much power from the video card? I don't need or want to overkill at the start. When I watch anything on my system, the only other things running are the background programs.

5. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

No, pretty much any decent dual core with do, whether it's Intel or AMD. You won't need a 4760 to play HD video's either. Just need one that can accelerate H.264 so your graphics card will take most of the load off the CPU.

6. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I thought so, but that leaves me with the original question on board brands. No overclocking is needed. I just want a solid board, this one lasted for a while now, I think reaching 5 years. That's decent, and good enough considering it's had 4 different CPU's, 6 RAM configurations, and the annual clean up. This little board really went far. Just wish it would KEEP going until a little into next year.

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Pretty much every motherboards will do if you don't want to overclock except those very cheap ones.

You only got half of it correct. It depends on what decoder you are using. Even a decent AMD processor will fail big time if you use a decoder that is not optimized properly for dual core, unless you overclock it to 3.0GHz. Intel FTW I say.

One more thing about off-loading H.264 processing to your graphics card. The decoding software only supports a very limited range of video formats like mov mp4 and avi. It won't accelerate your H.264 video if the video format is not supported. It's the same for both ATI/NVIDIA, remember that.

8. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Hey, if I need to get a 3GHz minimal, that's fine. Info on other sights don't help as they are talking about the minimal with nothing else running, even in the background.
    As of now, most of the HD stuff I want to watch is WMV HD. So I pump the CPU a little. The less money I need to spend the better unfortentally. I would LOVE to get a quad core and not worry about anything preformance wise, but I can't aford that.

You can expect me to list that parts I will be looking at.
    IE, this video card : An ATI HD 3450.
    Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100234VGAL Radeon HD 3450 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

9. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Even with 3450, you'll be fine watching x264 rips at 1080

Hang on a minute, 3450 supports mpeg 4 decoding anot?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  10. lee_what2004

11. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I was referring to H.264 full HD videos. If it's WMV, you don't need to worry anything. Even "lowly" processors such as A64 X2 or E1200 can play it easily.

It does but like I said, you need to have the right video format, right decoding software in order to make it work. It won't just magically decodes your x264 videos after you installed it into your PC. It really depends on what kind of video format do you mostly watch, for me it is useless because most of my videos are h.264 encoded and in .mkv format, and it is not supported by the decoding software.

Thanks to the misleading ATI/NVIDIA PR, a lot of people believed that their cards can accelerate H.264 playback with codec packs such as k-lite/CCCP installed :lol:

1 person likes this.
  12. lee_what2004

so those h.264 encoded and .mkv will be processed by cpu no matter what?

13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yup, until it is supported by the ATI/NVIDIA's decoding software.

14. lee_what2004

what about Nvidia Purevideo ?

15. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

:mrgreen:

16. lee_what2004

Ah I understand, after reading Purevideo SD/HD Guide - [H]ard|Forum
    guess you're right :haha:

17. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well then Max, what's the CHEAPEST Video card and CPU rating I could get for H.264 HD decoding?
    Yes, most will be WMV HD, but I occasionally have used H.264. If possible, I will just get it with the system instead of an upgrade.
    Also, for this does it matter if I have an ATI or NVidia based GPU? I am going into the quality of the playback with this, as I know sometimes a GPU can render the video differently depending on the design.

18. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you want proper HD decoding, get a good C2D like E8400 or faster, ignore the graphics card unless you want gaming.

19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

All the newer generation graphics card supports H.264 decoding, even down to the lowest end card. But like Chai said, it's still the best to get a proper CPU for playing full HD H.264 videos, because the decoding software (for ATI/NVIDIA cards) only supports a very limited number of video formats. Not to mention you even need to pay for the decoding software (both ATI/NVIDIA)

As for playback quality, I have no idea if the ATI/NVIDIA's decoding software actually changes/enhance the video image or not. I do not know which one is better even if it does that.

20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think PureVideo is free now, but you still need to use PowerDVD etc.