New build for next year, basic info wanted.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1031982, Nov 2, 2008.

1. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Yes it looks fine, it won't matter whether you take 1066 or 667MHZ RAM since without overclocking you won't achieve 1:1 ratio anyway.

2. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

OK then, the order will go later on today (for any other input to come in). I thank everyone who provided input.
    Also, I am getting a new HDD instead of the IDE to SATA adapter. WD 500GB Black series. It will replace the 320GB I have now. I am running low on space with the 320 I have now, to the point where the free space is at 23GB. The ONLY reason I am doing this is because of the RAM going down in speed and thus cost. Because on the side I do the VHS to DVD conversions, the lending was allowed so I can keep doing so and pay this off sooner. Any other upgrades were not going to be allowed, otherwise I would have bundled the CPU higher.

3. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

4. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Nope, but close. I am getting the 500GB model found here.
    I am going for the cheapest and largest model that has the longest warranty. The Black series has 5 years, the 500GB will give me a nice boost, and the total cost for everything with shipping is $489.02.

I plan on eventually getting a TB drive, if not larger or multiple ones. The nice thing is the Raptor I have will continue to be the OS/program drive, and the 500GB will become the storage drive, like how I have the 320 now. I'll give more space to 2 partitions, and that will come out being an excellent boost of space. After a while I will wipe the 320 clean and sell it off. It's in good working condition, SMART says it's good with the exception of it running more then average users. Any other program I use says it's at either 99% or 100% health.
    Now then I am guessing, a good benchmark running for about a hour on the new drive should be a good initial test, and then keeping the 320 for a month (more likely until next year) for backup will be long enough because of the benchmark.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

640GB is much much faster due to its 320GB platter. I would rather go for speed, since it comes with 3 years warranty already, and it's dirt cheap.

6. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well, speed is not a concern for it's use. If it was, I would have gotten it, or 2 smaller drives to RAID.

And now the order has been placed.

7. Chai

But the price difference is really minimal. Maybe it's more expensive over there...

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

It's like RM210 vs RM235 here. It's really obvious which HDD to get :lol:

9. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Price diffrence was $10. Nothing big, but I wanted the realiability. The space increase was not needed, and the warrenty was more appealing to me.
    Remember, it's a persons needs that makes the system.

10. Chai

The extended warranty period doesn't make it a more reliable drive. I really wish if that's the case. Who doesn't want a more reliable drive. The extra money you pay is basically covering their asses because chances of drive failures is higher when the drive is older.

11. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well, within about a year I plan to replace it for a TB drive anyway. It's just giving me breathing room until I can get the one I really want.

12. Chai

This is an even better reason to get 640GB since it's a better drive than 500GB in every way.

Then again, that's me.

13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I mean for us here it's really obvious which drive to get because the price difference is too small (like $6) and the 640GB is better than 500GB is every aspect. I did not know how much is the price difference over there.

I thought all the Caviar Black series have 5 year warranty? Why would the 500GB drive's warranty be more appealing than the 640GB?

14. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

You are correct, from WD Caviar Black 640 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD6401AALS ):

15. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

How about this, didn't realize it was a Black and I also went for the first one I saw instead of going further down the list.

Are you all happy now? You made me cry! :cry: :cry:

Lol, but really when I got the OK to get one, I just went in. (I don't have a credit card, so I need to barrow a family members.) I already said the exact price, and I am lucky enough to have gotten what I did. I wasn't going to risk it, and by the time the benefits sunk in, in addition to Chai's response, it was too late. I don't think it's a good idea to make last minute changes in the situation. It's better then nothing, and I don't/didn't want to rock the boat on this.

16. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

well, you did what you need to be done
    be happy with it :D

17. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

LOL! I was really confused there when you said the 500GB has better warranty than the 640GB :haha:

18. Chai

Yes, because he was comparing 500GB Black and 640GB AAKS which is not Caviar Black.

19. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I see it now completely makes sence on my choice. Impulses and excitement took over, but at least I ma getting a larger HDD.
    In terms of the extended warranty debate, I never had any real issues with WD. I had one bad drive over 5 years ago, and it was replaced immediately. I just like knowing I am covered for a long time.
    But a nice little run with SpinRite on the drive should verify a decent amount of it.

20. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Found a site that compares the results equally, it's good enough.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008