New build for next year, basic info wanted.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1031982, Nov 2, 2008.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Got things yesterday, been setting it up. Hardware seems good, but a SATA port broke off. Just the plastic holder. Other system kinda died on me when I was trying to transfer things, so I needed to rush this. Fortentally, I don't need to use all the SATA ports, only 2.
    System is MUCH quicker then expected. Somehow, it played 1080P H.264 videos without an issue... Not sure how, but I'm going to find a test video to verify.

2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Of course, it's a C2D E7200.

3. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Yes, but it's clocked at 2.53GHz per core. The requirements are 3.0GHz on a dual core.
    Anyway, if I actually use QuickTime to play 1080P H.264 videos, there are occasional "jumps". Everything else runs smoothly. Much better performance then I was expecting.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I was talking about A64. There is a big difference between a 3.0GHz A64 X2 and 3.0GHz C2D.

Any C2D around the speed of E6600 should play 1080p without issues.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

C2D is much much faster clock for clock than A64 and Phenom.

High end C2D is faster than Phenom X4 in some situation, even in multithreaded benchmarks.

6. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

wow... that could allow me to get my friend really mad. He's running a quad core AMD CPU. If I got a C2D to out preform his at stock speeds, (he would need to see it for himself in real life) he would get REAL upset. lol

Saying that earlier would have gotten me to switch to Intel quicker. I can say I don't regret anything about the PC as of now. The HDD thing would have been nice to catch before I got it, and the SATA connector staying on would be great, but there are 6 connectors on board, and I only plan on using at most 4, possibly 5. So ironically that worked out.

I have some pics of the case, but they are from a cell phone with a VGA cam. I will upload them if wanted.

I think the only big thing I would want to change would be the power supply, for modular connectors. That won't be for a while though, earliest being mid next year. Especially as I will want something with a pointless amount of capability, like 700W. Point will be to do what I was able to do with the one I have now. That and I will most likely will want to max out the CPU and get more RAM when I upgrade the OS to 64bit.

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm thinking of changing to Corsair VX450 has it has great noise characteristic (or lack of), single rail 12V line, and it's not modular.

I personally feel that having modular is not really that useful, and it 'could' be bad when there's bad contact in between the connector and PSU, well, only in theory. :lol:

If you want a good modular PSU, you can consider Corsair HX520.

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

There's really no need to get something with 700 W or 1 kW unless you intend to do triple-SLI or quad-CrossFireX. :D

Anything 500 W and above should do just fine. It's more important to make sure it's a quality PSU with good 12V rails and support for two PCI-E power connectors (one 8-pin and one 6-pin). Modular PSUs are best, of course. Makes it a lot easier to manage the cables. :thumb:

9. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well, part of the reason is to get a PSU I will hold on to for a long time. Like this system, and another on to max out after a good few years.
    As for the 12V rails, I am not too sure what to look for.
    The modular PSU would be because of cables, and that's almost the only reason. Because of that, I might not even bother with a new PSU. I have a solid one right now, and if I hold on to this board as long as I did the previous one (5 years working) then any number of things could happen with PSU's and power connectors.

The only things I really want to do (I can't do until late next year) is get digital speakers, and get a new sound card. It will free me from Creative Labs.

10. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Forgot to post pics of the case/system. I did it in the pictures aria, here is the link.