New PSU testing rig. Send me PSUs!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by empire23, Oct 3, 2007.

1. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

Hurr, my rig is nearly complete! With the addition of the Extech power analyzer from Mouser.com, it shall be NEARLY complete! Thus now, i need PSUs to test.

It's been a year of collecting money and expensive parts but i feel it's worth it as i believe that an objective review with the proper tools is an investment. Ahh, all the sweat and toil comes to near completion!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I already have ;

Digital Storage Oscilloscope
    Variable AC transformer source
    AC Power Analyzer and Power Meter
    RMS Capable multimeter

Still need ;

DC load. About a cool 9000 ringgit for one. Although i'll leave that till later on

Anyways if you has an old PSU or a PSU you wanna bench, PM me, because i wanna get some practice in a start a meaningful database of power supplies for my future emp23.com PSU database. Of course each test will have the contributor listed.:mrgreen:

So anyone wanna start sending PSUs in? I'd appreciate it :pray:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hey, I wanted to pass you two Zalman PSUs for testing at the last TT but you didn't come. How about this weekend?

3. empire23

Sorry for not coming, father was using the car due to some important meeting he had to go to, so i was kind of left vehicle less :(. Plus i thought it was on sunday and not on saturday....dumb me :p

Zalmans psus...nice. The list time i reviewed their 600watter, i was pleasantly surprised by the good performance. Looking forward to testing the new ones. Especially with ze new gear...heheheeh

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually one of them is the 600W you tested. I thought you might want to retest it. The other is the new 850W PSU.

How about this Saturday?

5. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

That's great testing equipment you have - I actually know every electric engineer must need it.

First and foremost, you should see the notorious Icute PSU - they have some voltage spikes all over.

Since you order equipments too, have you, by chance, seen any conductive pens or paint defogger kits? I want it for my BSEL mod. :)

6. empire23

Good Good, might as well update the old review with osci charts. Look forward to testing more PSU goodness.

The final piece of my review gear, the DC load modules i can hopefully buy at the end of the month after i get some cash from my amp building, and then i can finally push these PSUs to their limits and make them scream. :thumb:

Basic equipment for power supply testing, although the variable transformer is abit ghetto since unlike a programmable AC supply, it can't simulate transients. Although i do plan to simulate it physically by turning the stupid voltage know up and down in rapid succession lol. Must buyyyyy Chromaaaaaa DC load, but so damned expensive.

Conductive Pens i know, paint defogger, hmmm, not sure. Just surf on to Mouser.com or Digikey.com and have a look, then tell me what ye wants.

7. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Hey, any interest in an Enermax 535W Noisetaker? It died on me but is still under warranty...perhaps you might like to try fixing it yourself or RMAing it and using the replacement...PM me. :)