New PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PowerSlide, Feb 26, 2015.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

short story is that my gtx460 finally RIP

thinking of buying used R9 290 or R9 280X but looks like my psu is not gonna be up to the job anymore, its silverstone 560W unit from many years ago

so now new psu and im looking at 650W models, a few in my budget

seasonic G-650 RM439
    super flower leadex gold 650W RM459
    corsair RM650 RM480
    FSP aurum PT 650W..price should be RM400++

which to choose? powering overclocked 4790K, 2 hdd, few fans, and TBC gpu :mrgreen:

2. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Are you sure 650W would be enough? How many fans, dvd, memory? I think you will get close to 650W usage.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm a big fan of Seasonic PSU. That G650 is not exactly high end, but it should be decent.

4. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

DarKSeeD,

650W is good enough for what im running, no multi gpu all that

Chai,

X series is slightly more expensive at RM519 for 650W model, actually whats the difference between G and X series? better build quality?

i like corsair RM650 flat cables, this would help with cable management but at RM480 is quite more than seasonic G650 and jonnyguru review rate G650 higher than RM650

5. Chai

Efficiency is better on the X series, hence the 80 Plus Gold rating. It also uses better quality components like Japanese capacitors, Sanyo Denki fans, and also fanless mode at low power usage. I definitely prefer lower wattage X series if available. Even a 550W is more than good enough for your system.

A typical high end single GPU, Intel based system is probably only taking up 300-350W power at load, and that's the power usage at wall socket. The actual wattage generated by the power supply is closer to 250-300W after factoring the power lost. 650W is way more than enough IMO, in fact, it is better to get a lower rating as these high wattage PSU tends to be inefficient at idle power usage (around 5-10% of power load), unless you buy the highest end 80 Plus Platinum.

6. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

Thank you for the knowledge

The lowest wattage X series is 650W, X series got good review all round if can spend the money is worth it

Now i still cant find a good deal on a used gpu and amd new cards is not coming yet plus gst coming next month things will be more expensive. The problem is money still as i can't spend that much anymore.

7. Chai

So which PSU did you get finally?

8. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

i didnt buy yet since i cant find any deal yet on gpu

how bout this?

Seasonic M12II-620 Evo 620W

only RM289..way cheaper than G650

9. Chai

80 Plus Bronze, nothing great. But not bad for the price I guess.

10. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

should be a fine unit then

so these bronze, gold, platinum rating is to show how efficient the psu is..say for example a system using bronze rated uses 350W but a gold rated psu will use 340W..more efficient save electricity cost

thinking about it i dont use my system 24/7 or i run my system full load all the time, as long the internal build is good it should be fine?

i try to understand this from google :mrgreen:

11. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

bad news, the seasonic M12 completely out of stock and will be available next month :roll:

i just got a deal on a used R9 280X

so my system will be

4790K oced to 4.5ghz
    8gb ram
    1 ssd
    2 hdd
    R9 280X
    4 case fan, but irrelevant as very low power

550W enough? im thinking of seasonic G550

12. Chai

I have not seen a bad review on Seasonic PSU. They are really that good.

550W should be enough for your system. A single GPU setup should be close to 400W peak, so with 150W buffer, I guess it's sufficient. It's not a cheapo PSU that overrates the wattage rating.

13. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

the bad news is i can't order this model too, my fav shop told me out of stock at distributor side :wall: G550 should be perfect..cost less than RM400 and plenty for what im running

only model available model is G650, G750 and M12II evo 750W

M12II Evo 750W is fully modular but bronze rating is RM400

G650 semi modular but gold rating and cost RM430

which i should buy? i cant make up my mind :shifty:

another point is im gonna use this for years

14. Chai

Get Corsair AX760. :wicked: My favourite now.

15. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

no budget for that

unless..........u do some charity for me :haha:

16. Chai

Sometimes I think modular is a bad idea, bad for cable management. Semi modular is good since the essential cables will never be removed anyway.

And I was waiting for you to do the charity... :haha:

17. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I have a fully modular PSU here but like Chai said, the essential cables will never be removed... :mrgreen:

18. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

semi modular is alright i mean we need the 24pin and 8pin to motherboard..the only thing a fully modular good that when we wana remove the psu for cleaning..but i never done that :mrgreen:

i booked a unit of seasonic G650, RM430 right in my budget its semi modular gold rating :thumb:

19. Chai

Congrats! :thumb:

20. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

heavy, superb build quality unit :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]