New soundcard options?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1031982, May 18, 2016.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ok, I am looking for a new sound card. My Audigy 2 ZS has started to give me problems, the big one being that I can't use the mic anymore.
    For those who don't know about this, Creative Labs never put out a proper 64-bit driver for the older cards, and if you have more then 4GB of RAM installed then the mic either doesn't work, or it's distorted.
    I don't think I really want much. I would like a 5.1 card, and one with a optical audio (Toslink) input. I realize that a card with external Dolby Digital and DTS decoding to analog speakers is not an option anymore, so if the card can take a Stereo signal, and emulate 5.1 to analog speakers I will be happy enough.
    I am in the USA, and don't want to spend more then about $150 on this. The cheaper the better.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What is your requirement? Is the onboard sound good enough?

3. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

No, on-board sound is not enough. I want something completely independent of the board.
    I really "need" a card that will take the audio from my XBox and mix it to 5.1 analog speakers. In addition, I want something that I can keep for a good amount of time. I have had my Audigy 2 for over 10 years, I want the same experience. I like the mixing it does with stereo to bump it to 5.1 via CMSS, so I would like to have either that, or some variant of that.
    I LOVE the clarity from the sound card. It doesn't matter what I am playing or how loud it is. I know that part of it is the speakers & headphones I am using, but the card does produce the core signal that the speakers simply react to.
    I listen to a wide variety of music, (I can listen to dance, go to metal, then pop, punk, and classical all in the same session), play games that can use audio enhancements, and watch movies.

4. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Nowadays, everyone's gone on-board so there's really not much choice to pick from -- the only big players in the sound card arena that I am aware of are from Creative Labs and Asus.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

On-board sound (mine's an Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER) are seriously pretty good these days. It's not easy to tell the difference with my Asus Essense STX modded with LME49720 op amps.

I'm not sure of any sound card that can do stereo to 5.1.