New tyres front or rear?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dashken, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

New tyres, front or rear?

So many different point of views. What do you think? :D

Asking this because one of my rear tyres punctured yesterday and was beyond repair. So, changed that and another older one. I told the mechanic to fix them at the rear but he said should be in front as this will provide more grip. Well, I relented. Now, I wonder if I should go back and have them rotate the tyres to have the new ones at the rear instead.

Thoughts?

Another thing is, do you measure the depth of your tyre thread to see whether it's time to change it? :D

2 new tyres - PistonHeads

Best two tyres. Fit to front or Rear of FWD car. - PistonHeads

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

I just got a pair of new tyre. the mechanic said he wanted to put the new tyres in the back so that the front pair will wore out faster then i can change them too with the reason 4 'new' tyre on the car. i told him no and put the new tyre infront

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think logically, the two new tyres in the front for FWD cars is better on dry roads because of the increased grip in the front.

However, I think they are right to advocate placing the newer tyres in the back, because the real danger is when it gets wet and the tyres at the back hydroplane... you will lose control of the car, which is very dangerous.

If the older tyres in the front starts hydroplaning, you can feel it on the steering wheel and brake to slow down, or correct for the "slide".

4. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Ok this is a good topic.. very subjective leh.. I too had a puncture tyre few months back, had to change a pair (no one changes just 1 right? :lol:) Was told to put it in front. The existing tyres still have like 40% thread left (own estimation)So technically, which one is the right way o_O...

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Now, this is assuming that the tires have the same characteristic / model. This is a very subjective matter. In dry weather, there shouldn't be much difference in grip. In wet weather, the depth of the thread matters.

For car stability in wet weather, tires with deeper thread should be in the back.

If both of your front tires hydroplane, typically you will keep moving forward. You will loose braking capabilities, and when you try to corner, you under-steer.

If both of your back tires hydroplane, typically you will still keep moving forward, however in the event of sudden braking or turning/cornering, the car wants to keep moving in the same direction, but your front tires are changing the direction. This is where you loose control/over-steer.

Why do you think cars are designed to under-steer? Because it is more stable.

So, put better tires behind if you don't want to loose control when you hydroplane.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This is a subjective topic. Most videos will tell you to put newer tyres behind.

But having driven for so long at high speeds (beyond the usual speed limit sometimes), I have never had aquaplaning before, because I made sure I buy good tyres, understand their limits, before doing anything crazy, regardless of putting newer tyres in front or at the back.

You should swap tyres regularly to ensure even tyre wear, and this is something that most people don't do. Uneven tyre wear may also indicate suspension component faulty or bad wheel alignment.

Our weather is predictable, it's either sunny or down pour. Just buy the best "summer" tyre for your wheels, forget about comfort and noise, your life is worth more than those tyres.

Edit: I just noticed that the videos above asking the driver to drive at insane speed, and stabbing on the brakes. :nuts:

7. zy

Ya, proper tires do make a difference in vehicle stability.

I never hydroplaned before because, I make sure my tires have sufficient tire depth. Snow = worse than hydroplaning. I do pull my handbrake in snow to slide the car around. :wicked:

People loose control of their car because of car stability (oversteer>understeer). Tire pressure can also affect vehicle stability.

8. Adrian Wong

I think they are just looking at it from the "worst case" scenario POV.

Besides, there so many tyre models and variants out there, it's virtually impossible to know which offers better performance in the wet before buying. There are tyre reviews but they are limited in range.

So I guess the conclusion is if we just replace two new tyres, we should put them in the back?

9. Adrian Wong

BTW, another danger even with "brand new" tyres is their age. They are not supposed to be older than 6 years old.

Once, I bought tyres that were more than 6 years old (ignorant at that time), only to discover that their walls were flexing - my car was swaying from side to side.

Damn dangerous, as you can imagine. Immediately swapped them out. Learned to also check for the tyre's age.

10. Chai

If you have a FWD car, usually the tyres on the front are the same size as the back. There's really no reason for you to just change 2 tyres at a time. Make it a habit to swap tyres every 10k-15k km, check for tyre wear.

I have always replaced all 4 tyres at the same time, never just on 1 axle. It is also quite likely that the tyres on your car is no longer in production. Newer tyres are usually better too.

11. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the problem is not swapping tyres frequently enough. By the time I wanted to do it (earlier), they had already worn to one side so much that they said it's better not to swap them until I change them.

In any case, I just changed two tyres on my old Sonata last month, because the other two still had a lot of depth left and will easily last another 4-6 months.

The new Sonata had all four changed about 6 months ago. I'm now swapping them every 5K or so, right after each oil change.

12. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

13. Chai

I think it's best to wait until just before GST implementation. Should be the lowest at that time since petrol and rubber prices are still dropping.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

14. Adrian Wong

Hmm... Does anyone know if there's a sales tax imposed on tyres?

AFAIK, car prices should drop a little (1-3%) after GST is implemented, and so should spark plugs, brake pads and car batteries.

On the other hand, motorcycle prices will rise due to GST. I think they are not charged any sales tax right now, so they should go up by 6% because of GST.

15. Chai

Other than those 3 items, I assume the rest will be imposed GST. I'm not going to take any chances, plus it's the first time in recent history that we have heard tyre prices reduction.

Don't forget alignment, tyre balancing will be be taxable.

16. zy

I had real bad luck this year with tires, had to change 2 tires :wall: They aren't even a year old. One developed 2 bubbles, probably from the potholes. Another one I blew couple of months later, hitting a big pothole :roll:

Same brand through, but tire shop had to get it from another location/branch that had it in stock.

17. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

Car manufacturer said GST implementation does not mean cheaper car. Read somewhere

18. Adrian Wong

I'm pretty sure there's currently a tax on tyres in Malaysia, because right next door, in Singapore... tyres are A LOT cheaper!

You can get premium tyres for what we pay for "normal" tyres here in Malaysia. :wall:

19. Adrian Wong

Potholes are a tyre AND rim killer...

Alan went into a pothole last year and killed not only his tyre but also cracked the rim.

20. Adrian Wong

Of course they will say that. Otherwise, people are going to stop buying cars until GST is implemented. :D

From what I understand, they are predicting a 1-3% drop in car prices once GST is implemented.