New Windows 7 install

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Crimsonfox, May 13, 2013.

1. Crimsonfox

Crimsonfox Newbie

I've always done a fresh install of Windows onto a new computer so I've never really had to do this before.

I've got a new HDD and want to install Windows 7 onto it, switch to using it full time and get rid of the current Vista I'm running on my first HDD.

My question is, firstly, can I install Win7 from the Vista desktop as opposed to going through install disks and whatnot, and secondly is there any way of transferring over program files?

I remember this being an issue in the past but it's been so long since I've had to do it I figured there way be a way around it now. :p But I do understand some programs are configured for specific versions of Windows so it'll be fair if I can't.

Any help would be appreciated. =)

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You need a hard disk tool like Acronis to transfer partition to the new HDD, then you should be able to upgrade your Vista to Win7.

3. Crimsonfox

Crimsonfox Newbie

I've got Home Premium so I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade to 7 Professional directly unfortunately. Guess it'll just have to be a clean install on the new HDD and I'll transfer across settings/saves etc manually.

Never hurts to start fresh. =)

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, it doesn't matter which version of Windows Vista you have. You can upgrade to any version of Windows 7.

However, you are right that it never hurts to start afresh. In fact, it is better because it gives you the opportunity to do some spring cleaning! :D