NF4 chipset cooler

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by PsYkHoTiK, Feb 15, 2006.

1. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I ran across this one VGA cooler that people used to replace the stock (and rather useless POS) HSF that DFI included for their chipset.

So I bought the Evercool VC-RE. :mrgreen:
    http://www.jab-tech.com/Evercool-VC-RE-Twinkling-VGA-Cooler-pr-2291.html

So I slapped it on (holes match up nicely unlike my Iceberg4 HSF) and fired it up. :D I got a 10C reduction in temperature. Now I could prolly get it lower if I can somehow manage to redirect the heat from my 6800Ultra (that dumps the hot air all over the chipset heatsink.)

Oh yea, that core pic is the uncleaned pic.. :D That stuff is hard to get off... :mad:

Attached Files:

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

So here's how it looks like when its all done.. :D

Attached Files:

• done.jpg
      done.jpg
      File size:
      458.6 KB
      Views:
  3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

use eraser to rub the old sticky pad off :thumb:
    that's what i always do :mrgreen:

btw, nice cooler!

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Thanks. :D It was cheap too. 13 bucks shipped... :D

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I thought I'd just post a screenie of it at load.:mrgreen:

Attached Files:

6. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Nice :thumb:
    Mine's sitting at 46, ambient 26. Although at the moment the stupid 6800GS' fan is drowning out all other fan noise :wall:

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Thanks! :mrgreen:

The 6800 Ultra is running supremely hot... :| Its sitting at 59C idle.... :o And it ain't even overclocked... :boohoo: I got lotsa stuff in my case thats generating lotsa heat. From my CPU to my Ram to my 6800 Ultra... :wall: I really need a cooler for my 6800 Ultra... :boohoo:

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

mine at 47C :haha: but PWM 57C :faint:

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

PWM 47C
    Chipset 55C
    :faint:

I think I'm going to upgrade the chipset cooler

Phok: You need some airflow around the CPU area, it might crash. Happens to me when I wanted a quieter system...

Now my HDD is really whining. Maybe I should just get a HDD replacement instead of the speakers...

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

My X1800XL also runs as hot as that even without overclocking. When overclocked, it goes as high as 65~75c :lol: When it reaches ~79c, my whole system will lockup :shock:

Luckily I managed to mount the SP-97 on it :haha: Now the temperature can never go above 60c in air-conditioned room even after heavily overclocked. However if no air-con I think it will go above 60c.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

it's been running at around 55c-60c 24/7 for months. never crashed so dun think im gonna do anything bout it as it's in the case now Im too lazy to open it up again..

before i brought this board back home for my personal use, the PWR used to run at ~65c for months in the labs :lol: tahan lasak :lol:

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hmm. I think I better run a fan on those chipsinks beside the CPU area... Bah, I'll just get a table fan... :|

13. Chai

I think my processor doesn't really like high voltage. I'm now down to just 2.6GHz at 1.45V. :( That could be the reason why it crashed last time.

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hmm... My voltage scaling goes out of the roof after 2.6GHz. I can do 2.6Ghz on stock voltage. After that I have to really crank it up.... :boohoo:

15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

that's what majority of the a64 clock.

my previous 2 athlon 3200+, my current X2 and a bunch of other samples clock exact the same way as urs.

blame the 90nm current leakage. we cant do much about it other than "taruk cooling kao kao".

16. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

My Opty 144 clocks very similar to PsYkHoTiK and Uncle's A64. After 2.6GHz need to increase the voltage a lot :wall: Currently testing it at 2.8GHz.

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I'm thinking of bumping the vcore up a tad bit more.. I want 2.8GHz.... :mad: It will now boot but will get the IRQ Equal To Or Less BSOD the moment I start stress testing...

18. Chai

What voltage are you guys using at 2.8GHz??

19. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

1.4V :shifty:

*runs*

20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hahahahahahahahahah :lol: