No reason to spend any more, is it?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Olle P, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

While skimming through nVidia's website I read about the new GeForce 7300 GS, and here's part of the official pitch:
    Judging by this sales promotion the 7300 provide all the performance any home user and gamer can wish for!
    So... why would anybody bother to spend a lot more money on the 7800-series? :think:

If most gamers relied on the sales pitch the sales of high end cards should take a deep plunge... :cool:

Cheers
    Olle

2. sbohdan

sbohdan Newbie

the 7300 ia slightly better then onboard graphics. they just simply lie as usuall :wall:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I've tested 7300 GS. Review coming soon, hopefully... :p

4. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

:thumb: I urge you to also add subjective comments on wether it, in your opinion, "allows you to experience the latest gaming effects without compromising performance" or not. (As experienced through live gaming tests.)

Cheers
    Olle

5. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

hehe. those "marketing" statements could very often be found on low-end cards like FX5200/ GF6200/ X300/ 9200SE and various other supposedly low-end during it's launch.

they can't just put you'll get minimal 3d performance with this card and most times you have to turn down the eye-candy just to play a game properly, can't they? :)

6. Chai

Of course... :mrgreen: But results don't lie, even if I don't tell the truth... :haha: But just to give you a hint. It's not as bad as what you think...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  7. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

so when the review coming?..

8. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

And exactly how bad do I think it is?

To me most statements are either true or false.
    For nVidias statements to be true, the least one can demand is that cards based on this GPU manage to run the game tests in 3DMark05 with an average frame rate exceeding 50fps. Given that the game tests in 3DMark06 are over the top compared to todays games, one can accept a lower framerate there, but should still get >30fps average in all game tests.
    Then the GPU should perform equally well with Open GL, but that's something I rarely use myself.

In short: To fulfill the expectations raised by the sales pitch it needs to perform better than the (also new) GeForce 6800GS that cost about two and a half times more!
    I expect it to fail in this aspect, and do worse than a "straight" GeForce 6800.

Cheers
    Olle

9. Chai

LOL!

If that's what you think, then I shall end my discussion here.

kayFX: Review? Ask Adrian. :p

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Working on it... Let's avoid baseless speculations for now!!! :mrgreen:

11. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

this is the tecnical spec for 7300GS.. what do you think?.. 4 pixel pipeline and 128bit oops.. 64bit memory interface with DDR2 memory module.. how does it sound?..:wicked:

12. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

The memory bandwidth calculation is wrong. It should be only 64/8*810=6.48GB/s.

13. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

dunno about that.. its what they say..
    [​IMG]
    this is how it look.. image from leadtek..

14. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Our first GeForce 7300 GS review will be posted in the next few hours. :wicked: