Nokia & Microsoft alliance

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by belikethat, Feb 12, 2011.

1. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

“Nokia will adopt Windows Phone as its primary smartphone strategy,” wrote Stephen Elop in an open letter published at Nokia Conversations on Friday. Specific details of the deal are still being worked out. No mention of MeeGo or Symbian in the letter. There’s a quick video announcement of the partnership. Take a look.

* Nokia will innovate on top of the platform in areas such as imaging, where Nokia is a market leader.
    * Nokia will help drive and define the future of Windows Phone
    * Nokia Maps will be a core part of Microsoft’s mapping services
    * Bing will power Nokia’s search services across Nokia devices and services
    * Nokia and Microsoft will closely collaborate on development, joint marketing initiatives and a shared development roadmap
    * Nokia’s content and application store will be integrated with Microsoft Marketplace

from Nokia Adopts Windows Phone as Its Primary Smartphone Strategy

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Cool! :)

Can't wait to see what they can bring to the table.

I wonder how nice are the Nokia maps? The Maps app (that I think uses bing maps) is pretty good on the WP7.

Also I wonder if that means if the WP7 hardware partners can tap into Nokia's offerings too (like HTC, Samsung, Sony, etc). With the integrated marketplace and all. But if they can sort all of that out, Nokia/MSFT would be really cool.

3. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Definitely a win win situation, Nokia needs a boost and Microsoft needs the market. Hopefully with this MS push more into WP7. Really wanted to get Mozart but WP7 is lacking a few critical features I want.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Nokia still makes one of the best phones, hardware wise. No one ever complains about the phone keypad, camera.

So having MS as OS is not a bad choice. I've not owned a Nokia in my life! :haha:

5. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

WP7 is crap, but it's a good start, hopefully WP7 will mature and be more customizeable.

Even so, by then Android would have taken over the market (I thought they already have)

6. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

the main thing is it sad to see a giant nokia fall and have to resort to do a partner with Mirosoft.

Symbian's coffin can be prepare now. and now nokia primary focus will be into WP7, meego will be secondary.

7. Chai

Android is not even close to taking over iOS. It is slipping further and further.

I think WP7 is great, but it is not refined, and it is flawed and buggy.

8. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

raelly? i saw news that andriod now is the most used in the states.

9. Chai

Maybe in the US, but not around the world. And recently with the Verizon iPhone 4 launch, I'm sure it will go up again. Don't forget that because you were only able to get iPhone with AT&T until recently.

In the Asian market, iPhone 4 is still picking up.

10. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

ya everywhere i see is iphone! mad. too common nowdays

anyway here some update on nokia with mircosoft

Nokia may still sticking to the official line that it will begin shipping Windows Phone 7 devices in "significant volume" in 2012, but it just dropped a big hint at its Mobile World Congress press conference that we could be seeing the first device even sooner -- like this year. That word came from Nokia's Jo Harlow, who said that her boss would be "much happier" if the timing of the initial launch was in 2011. What's more, Nokia's also given us a glimpse of another slightly different Windows Phone 7 concept device in addition to confirming the leaked one we got our hands on a few days ago, and it's shed yet more light on the behind the scenes intrigue that led up to the switch to Windows Phone 7. According to CEO Stephen Elop, the "final decision" to go with Windows Phone "just happened on Thursday night of last week." Elop then later then expanded -- in response to a question shouted from the audience about whether he was a trojan horse -- that the "entire management team" was involved in the process, and that "of course the board of directors of Nokia are the only ones that can make this significant of a decision about Nokia," which they made on Thursday night.

Nokia hints we'll see first Windows Phone 7 device this year -- Engadget

11. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

Chai, googling "android asian market" returns pages like this one, showing Android growth and iPhone decline. If you have contradicting evidence, please link to it.

As for Nokia and WP7, this could go either way. Microsoft currently locks WP7 to a specific hardware platform. If the joint venture with Nokia will allow Nokia to vary the platform and do more extension customisation than Microsoft allows other companies, then I can see this as good for both Nokia and Microsoft. Nokia likes design experiments which could help WP7 find more markets. If Microsoft limits Nokia, then I think it'd end up hurting Nokia in the long run.

12. jay cee

jay cee Newbie

The street hates this deal, with the CEO's recent bad words about his company, analysts are giving the stock the boot Nok to $4

13. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Well, iPhone people are show offs :lol:

They play with their phone all day long thats why you keep seeing iphone.

BB users keep it in their pocket.

Android users most of the time in their pocket as well :p

14. Chai

Are you sure?

I see people using all those phones all the time, doesn't matter which phone.

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, I think so too. I seem to see folks using their smartphones all the time, if not to read messages then it's to read ebooks or play games. Well, Blackberry less so, but seems pretty common for Android and iPhone users.

16. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

Regarding the Nokia-Microsoft deal, the more I think about it the more it makes sense. Nokia was already looking for a replacement to Symbian, which has been losing market share for a while. Windows Phone 7 is a better choice than MeeGo for that. On Microsoft's front, Nokia, which has had a lot of experience with OS development, will customise Windows 7 to a large extent, even offering changes which will be incorporated into the OS (see here), so will function as an extension to the Windows Phone development team.

I'll be waiting to see the results of this cooperation.

17. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yes, it definitely makes more sense, but I wonder what the MeeGo team thinks of all their wasted efforts...

18. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

Probably "that's an unfortunate setback, but hopefully our great product will succeed anyway." I'm a veteran of quite a few failed startups and in my experience that's often the mood.