Notebook Purchase Fiasco!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Dec 3, 2004.

1. m00j

m00j Newbie

Yeah I agree 1Gb ram is incredibly useful! I had 256Mb in my computer for quite a while and then finally decided I could not live with it and went and purchased 2x512 Sticks. Now with 1Gb ram (the 256 went in another computer) things run so much smoother.

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

congratz on your upgrade m00j :)

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Sorry about the JB7000 review. I'm editing it halfway. But been busy travelling. Haven't had the time to finish it yet. :wall:

Will do so ASAP. :pray:

4. m00j

m00j Newbie

Well I just got back from the store! The minute I layed eyes on it I knew I would be walking out with it in hand. It is a very nice laptop. The keyboard reminds me of the Sony A series keyboard - I think they may be the same. The little plastic edge at the front of the screen reminds me of the Sony S series which has a similar thing cut into it.

Only thing that I find annoying is that the magnesium casing is like a standard magnesium laptop casing. I.E plastic feeling! I would have prefered if it felt like real metal.

5. gogo2

gogo2 Newbie

Finish reading your notebook fiasco 3.

When does your Wifi card dead? Coz if its Acer, Acer will replace your whole notebook if any hardware problem within 1 week.

And as for so many problem with your laptop, I think your laptop is not new one. I remember you told me that the laptop is open box. Here is the scenario I can think of:

a)you guys are waiting for 2 laptops
    b)they can't get it. So they search all the shops in KL and found two display laptop.
    c)the display laptop is used maybe for few weeks or months and the wifi is always turn on
    d)they clean the laptop and make them look as new (refurbished)
    e)your guys saw the laptop. since you guys wait for so long liao, surely seeing the laptop make you guys happy and forget all the checking or so.
    f)there you goes, you guys got two second hand (display unit) laptop
    g)a lot of part will fall aparts very soon...
    h)coz its already been used.... :p

Anyway, I would say I'm very satisfied with my Dell 700m. No failure etc..good product at last from Dell...

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

a few ppl here had bad experience with dell laptops :mrgreen: ..

7. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

LOL. i was there to check both the laptops. they are both in sealed box. creative theory though ;)

8. m00j

m00j Newbie

the one thing that really scared me was that the box of mine was sealed with stickers that said void warranty if broken! Mine was already open at the store but all the plastic was still on it, the software etc was still sealed, no fingerprints on it and windows was still at the initial set up point that it always is on new laptops. Touchpad showed no use etc so I think they just opened it to have a quick look :p

9. peaz

LOL. yeah, the 'void warranty' seal on the box was stupid. They will definately open up the boxes ussualy to check the contents. Mine came in really fresh, therefore I was able to be there before they had any time to do their own checking.

10. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I just got done reading the "story" and all I can say is WOW! I knew dealers were bad, but not that bad! I am so sorry to hear about your trouble. :( Although, I am surprised that you didn't order from the manufacture... :think: Is that a possibility for you?
    I know that if I ever get a laptop, I will go through the manufacture just too avoided dealer BS. Most of the people I talk to don't know squat! (I out talk the people at BestBuy who are the PC service A+ certified people... :lol: )
    At least you have working systems now. ;)

11. peaz

nope... we can't go directly to the manufacturers. and even if we can, we won't be able to get good deals as manufacturers have strict policies to sell at their recommended retail price.

12. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ouch, sorry to hear that.
    IMO, I would rather pay more for a Laptop and know EXACTLY what I am getting then run into problems.

EDIT:Spelling

13. gogo2

gogo2 Newbie

Like that, you really have to worried. For your information, we, as informed consumer, have the right to buy product in sealed box especially if the price is thousands of ringgits.
    Open box item is 100% used. I'm 100% doubt that they open it for checking. That is 100% bullshit. Else, why my laptop and rest of my friends laptop including Ken's one is sealed?

Thus, your dealer is 100% confirmed to be fraud. :whistle:

14. m00j

m00j Newbie

Yes we do have the right to get it in a sealed box but that is not always possible.

Think of it this way. If it was still a sealed box and then I came in and wanted to look at it what would happen? They would have to open the box. Then if I decide I do not want it they cannot reseal the box. So yes while you can expect a sealed box from a large retailer you cannot expect it all the time from a smaller one.

While the laptop maybe have been used slightly they had at least then done a full software restore on it and cleaned any fingerprints off.

If I wanted to get a sealed box I could have gone to another store but this store was helpful to me. They actually let me see and try the laptop beforehand. The other store would not.

This way I could see everything about the laptop, check it for dead pixels etc. I know they did not swap around any hardware as I checked all of that before buying it.

I sell laptops where I work and often a customer will buy the display model simply because it is the last one avaliable. There is usually nothing wrong with them apart from the fact the box is open.

15. peaz

Errr... that's quite a harsh assumption right? Open box does not necessarily mean it's a used item. it could be for anything. It could be for the shop wanting to pre-chop and sign the warranty cards, it could be them wanting to get/confirm the serial numbers.

Also, I would easily get a opened on and being able to check then a sealed one and not being able to check before purchasing it.

16. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Now, at most Best Buy's they have a policy for every laptop/notebook they sell.
    1. It must be new or the customer must be notified of previous use BEAFOR payment.
    2. If it is used, refurbished, or a floor model, it must be "restored" (reformat and installation of the OS and software VIA recovery disk) before being sold at the time of purchase.
    3. The serial number MUST be recorded or else the sale is VOID. This includes having the customer view the sales associate open the box, record all needed information, and then returning any removed items back into the box and then re-sealed in front of the customer.
    4. If the customer requests it, he/she is allowed to view the system BEAFOR it is re-packaged for a personal inspection.

I think it's a bit over the top, but it does help keep track of inventory, ensure no type of store fraud is preformed, and the customer is fully aware of what is going on and what the condition of the new laptop is in.

Please note, that this policy is currently becoming a standard throughout the US. All BestBuy locations that are by me have at least 75% of this procedure in full operation and I have seen the full procedure in full operation at one BestBuy.

17. plasma

plasma Newbie

my housemate's new Dell laptop, recently had some problems accessing the LAN... it showed a msg "limited or no connectivity available"... weird.... so, she called the Dell service centre since it was still under one year from purchase date... the guy came, and when he tested it, it worked!!! :O altho i've gone through all the settings, making sure they're correct. plus, no settings was changed when he came... he juz plugged it in and worked...weird....

anyway, he brought a new motherboard to exchange with the current one as the LAN EMAC controller is on the motherboard... altho the LAN seems to work when he tried it, he changed the motherboard anyway,... quite cool, saw how he took out everything.

18. gogo2

gogo2 Newbie

Sorry for the harsh assumption. But I'm getting pissed off by the Malaysian shops which sell product worth over thousands of ringgit but with open box item. Then, they give crappy reason - which is pre-chop and sign warranty card. Now, can't they signed it and chopped it in front of you? Its not that they are selling 1 every minute that they have to presign and prechopped? Doesn't make sense right. :wall:

19. peaz

I understand your reaction. I'm just saying sometimes, open box isn't the worse thing you can expect from the dealers and distributors here. In fact, open boxes are the least of the worries. What's more to be concerned of is dead pixels, the notebook built etc, if you're spending thousands of ringgit, don't you want to be able to change the notebook even if htere is one dead pixel? Why must you wait for 5! that's more to be concern off. Who really cares about open boxes when you think about that.

20. m00j

m00j Newbie

well it turned out my notebook came with 2x256 Sticks. I changed them over for a single 512 (for a small fee :() and am going to get another 512 in a few months.

One thing that is worrying me is when I run WCPUID I get this:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/m00j/wcpuid.jpg

It also says unknown CPUID when I start up. Maybe WCPUID has not been updated for the dothan core (but I doubt it!)

Also, the memory only runs at 100MHz in these laptops, not 166Mhz even though I am using a DDR333 Module.

*edit*
    It is okay I have worked out. I checked with the intel CPUID program and it shows it all correctly :D

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005