Nvidia Geforce FX5200

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by fd369, May 23, 2010.

1. fd369

fd369 Newbie

Hello Guys!!
    I am very New to this site,as well as to the world of capping .Actually i have an old Nvidia Geforce FX5200 128MB (128bit)....It has a problem when i start my computer using this card all goes fine windows logo appear and then as soon as Windows Welcome screen come all goes black just mouse cursor in the center(i can move it) i tried using safe mode re installing driver,windows all but all in vain,Now i have seen that it has a blown cap i want to ask that is this cap is the issue? i mean if i go for its repairing can i get my card working? help me out!

Thanks!
    Sorry,if posted in wrong section!!

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Sounds like it is a window problems instead of a graphic card problem.

3. fd369

fd369 Newbie

as i tell earlier that i have changed windows too nd i must mention i can install windows correctly using card but again at first start it again get to black screen with cursor only:!:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. It's possible, but did you confirm that by testing with a different graphics card?

Also, did you see any bloated capacitors on your graphics card?

5. fd369

fd369 Newbie

yeh all other cards are working when i connect them,yeh i can see a blown cap!
    its sacon
    16v 430uf
    please tell me name of good alternative cap that i can use!!!

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I would just replace the card with something else. FX5200 was slow even during its time.

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. We need Empire23 for this. Will try to contact him.

But Chai's correct. Do you really want to spend the time and effort to repair this card? Even a super cheap 7600 GT is many times faster than the FX 5200...

8. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Agreed - I was about to say the same thing too. :)

A card replacement would be easier, and you might find dirt-cheap AGP cards like the 6600, 7300 and the 7600 in auction or even some stores are still selling these! :whistle: