NVIDIA GeForce to Quadro FX Soft Mod

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by easywind, May 8, 2009.

1. easywind

easywind Newbie

I read a recent article on Tech ARP regarding a software mod that can "change" an NVIDIA Geforce 8800GT vid card to a Quadro FX 4600 and I have a couple questions.

First, some up front info...

I am getting reading to buy an HP desktop that comes with an NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB vid card, an Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz processor (which I intend to OC) and Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

I want to use the desktop to run programs like 3ds Max, Pro-e Wildfire 3.0, and some other similiar programs.

It is my intention to run these programs with XP Pro 64 rather than Vista. I am planning on a dual boot set up.

Now my questions:

1) Since the 9800GT has the same exact specs as the 8800GT, will the software mod for the 8800 work for the 9800?

2) Does it matter which OS I do the software mod and OC under? I guess what I am asking relates more to the order of doing things - set up the dual boot, then do the mods. Is it possible to have the original configuration under Vista and the mods under XP Pro?

thanx in advance for any help provided...

2. consolation

consolation Newbie

3. arankthnar

arankthnar Newbie

7950 GX2 modded into a quador fx? possible?

Hye.

I'm a noob about modding geforce into quadro video cards.
    I'm going to try with a xfx 8800 GTS 640 into a fx 4600. And if its working, I'm going to do the same with a 8800 Ultra.
    I have got another question. Could I do the same with a 7950 GX2? And what is the equivalent in the quadro products? fx4500x2? fx4700x2?

Thanks for your help!

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

There's no equivalent for the 7950 GX2 as there are no Quadro cards using two GPUs.

BTW, you might want to check out the official thread on the soft-mod - http://forums.techarp.com/reviews-articles/24105-nvidia-geforce-quadro-soft-mod-guide.html

5. arankthnar

arankthnar Newbie

Thanks.

So my 7950gx2 will stay a geforce :)