NVIDIA GeForce To Quadro Soft-Mod Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, May 9, 2008.

1. royco

royco Newbie

Hi, Just a heads up that my BFG 256mb 7900GS worked aok as a Quadro 3500 using the new version of Riva. Good thing I found this article an hour before bidding on a Quadro 570. I just need the quadro for realvue in solidworks and it works like a charm!

Thanks

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Congratulations!! :thumb: :thumb:

Do let us know your results if you are benchmarking it! :beer:

3. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

Nice to heard feedbacks :)

4. crackerjack00

crackerjack00 Newbie

Loading of custom driver Failed.

Hi this thread rocks!
    I have softmoded my 8400GS --> quadro NVS 290
    I installed the Latest quadro drivers 169.96 at the time as this post

I am using 3ds max 2009 and works like a charm. :)

the only thing I just cant figure out is that I can install Maxtreme V11.0 without any problems. but when max starts it just gives me the following error.
    Loading of custom driver failed. forcing null driver mode

can anyone give me a hand here please. i feel so close and know I am just bumping my head against the wall :wall: trying to get maxtreme to work.
    thanks in advance... for any help

5. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

i have tryd to mod it but hmmmm it just wonth work on all 128-256-320 bit machines
    i am still trying to make fix for that but i dont think it will work on all machines
    maybe because most of quadro cards are high class with highest bits like 256(g92) , 378(g80) or 512?
    maybe in the future we will be able to mod it

6. crackerjack00

crackerjack00 Newbie

Thanks

thanks for your opinion. I hope this will work someday... :)

7. generalRage1982hrv

no problem
    well if you are a real cracker and you know to work with dx and opgl p.m. me
    i need some help (it is my personal project)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  8. papi

papi Newbie

Hi Pepople
    I have Geforce 9500M GS hot to convert it to Quadro 1600M

Regards

9. Adrian Wong

Try following the steps shown in the guide.

10. papi

papi Newbie

I am trying but I am new and cant find me card 9500M GS to compare with any Quadro.
    Please help

Regards

11. crackerjack00

crackerjack00 Newbie

Fx 5200 To Quadro 500

Hi I just bought a cheap geforce 5200 128 MB and followed the steps in the guide to convert it into a Quadro 500. again I got exactly the same behavior as before.

quadro drivers install fine, 3ds max and windows recognize the board as a quadro ok. but Maxtreme V11.0 and 3ds max 2009 just crash with exactly same error.
    Loading of custom driver failed
    I guess max 2009 or Maxtreme v11.0 doesnt like the mod. or I made exactly the same mistake with two diferent cpus...
    :wall:

12. generalRage1982hrv

maxextreme driver is only for 2008

13. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

Wth ? the mod works for an FX5200 :thumb:

Will mod my old FX5200 RIGHT NOW:mrgreen:

14. crackerjack00

crackerjack00 Newbie

Maxtreme versions

The following link contains a list of Diferent Maxtreme versions. as you can see V11.0 works in 2009.
    h/t/t/p://www.nvidia.com/object/maxtreme_archive.html
    MAXtreme Archive

15. generalRage1982hrv

driver detects how many pipelines are working or something
    but even without that driver it is working just great
    and when u chose driver on nvidia.com
    chose Quadro Performance Driver do not dl normal graphic driver

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  16. Pandi

Pandi Newbie

Hey everyone, this topics got me really interested as of late. As I'm one of many who are looking to get a new PC for work. But the Quadro's are just too expensive for me. Hence this soft-mod talk sounds good.

But having said that it looks like it only partially works, the open GL results don't seem that different from the unmodded tests. Maya especially. If this isn't the case then what kind of dramatic gains are you really getting with open GL apps. Because like someones else pointed out there appears to be little difference in the provided results.

There is an obvious difference with MAX but this because of the D3D build of that particular package right?

Would this Mod yeild great gains in other software other than 3d apps like say After Effects or Premiere?

Just curious.

Thanks to those that have submitted test results in setups. Good work. :clap:

17. generalRage1982hrv

get a old 8800GTX or ULTRA
    and you will get a fine quadrocard lol

18. Pandi

Pandi Newbie

Uh thanks, but that didn't exactly answer my question. Anyone?

All I really need to know is other than the soft-mod not really working on openGL apps what kind of other operations see major performance increases. Like video apps and stuff. Anyone tested anything like that?

19. Adrian Wong

Not yet. TBH, Quadro is about professional 3D acceleration. When it comes to non-3D application, i.e. video, both Quadro and GeForce should work the same.

20. BluesmanI

BluesmanI Newbie

Hi guys,

i tried to "convert" my 8800 gtx graphics card into a quadro. Well the system says, it is a quadro. But what's the point? All of the functions that made out a real quadro are not available. I tried max 9, max 2008, maya 2008, specviewperf.

It's no big secret that you can install quadro drivers onto g80 cards. Just look at cg-society.org at their maya-section. There you can find kind of a viewport problem-solution by installing quadro drivers since middle of 2007.

You can install maxtreme because it simply looks after a quadro card and if the system tells 'yeah, i got one', you can start the installation. Also viewport handling has improved a lot from max v6 to max 2008, even without maxtreme.

Also, the performance results with specviewperf are really far far away from real quadros. Ok, 12 points to 23 is a good boost, but it still can't keep up with the normal 40 points regarding the fx 4600.

By the way, why wasn't this option of 'softmodding' not possible so long? Was there an update of riva tuner necessary to get it working?

Hope I didn't irritate anyone, just wanted to make my point of view.