NVIDIA GeForce To Quadro Soft-Mod Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, May 9, 2008.

1. The FOZ

The FOZ Newbie

I think I have a shot at making this go, BUT I need a copy of nvstrap.sys to install. Any ideas where I could get it?

2. citybird

citybird Newbie

Could anyone give me a hand, please?

3. OniShiro

OniShiro Newbie

Undoing the mod?

I might try the softmod on my laptop which has a 9700M GT to convert it to quadro 770M.

I have a couple questions first, can the softmod be done on vista 64 bits?

Also I'd like to know how to undo the softmod, because it's not explained anywhere, and I don't want to have to reinstall Vista if I don't get good results with it.

Thanks in advance.

4. citybird

citybird Newbie

What is the best new VGA card, from Nvidia, to mod by software for a Quadro?

If no one could tell How I transform a 8800 Ultra in Quadro, please tell me what VGA can I buy to do that, please.

Is important for my work. Thanks

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

When using RivaTuner, you must remember that it will not necessarily support the LATEST NVIDIA driver. Check the update history. To be safe, use an OLDER driver. Otherwise, it won't allow you to mod.

To remove the soft-mod, just REVERSE the procedure in RivaTuner. Then reboot the computer. That's it. :thumb:

6. OniShiro

OniShiro Newbie

Thanks a lot, seems easy enough, I hope mudbox 2009 no longer crashes with the quadro driver, because with the geforce driver it keeps crashing :)

7. citybird

citybird Newbie

Thank´s Adrian! ;)

What driver you recommend to 88 Ultra?

8. Adrian Wong

I would check the driver version supported by the version of RivaTuner I'm using.

You can check that in the list of updates. They will tell what driver revisions are supported by RivaTuner. Use the latest version supported.

9. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

RivaTuner supports up to ForceWare 177.98 since 2.11

10. hotstepper

hotstepper Newbie

I am running a 7900 GS and tried the mod but now XP does not recognize the card and I can't load the Quadro drivers either. Also RivaTuner does not give me the option to revert as the NVStrap tab is not available. Luckily my screen works but at a very low refresh rate.
    Any ideas are welcome.

11. Adrian Wong

In the worst case scenario, uninstall both RivaTuner and your drivers. Then reinstall both (driver first, if you want to give it another try) or just reinstall the driver.

12. tippylaboo

tippylaboo Newbie

Can't find tab

I just dled rivatuner211 and when i click the customize button in the target adapter section, there is no low-level system settings button, anyone have any help for me?

System
    Operating System: WinXP 64-bit
    Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GTX
    Processer: Intel Core 2 QUAD 2.50 GHz

13. Adrian Wong

Again, you need to use a driver version that is supported by RivaTuner.

14. emeng

emeng Newbie

Results with New Riva Tuner Release

I have been using a pair of 9800GT’s with Autodesk Inventor. Because of the basic speed that these cards offer they have proven to be a reasonable performer for this application. The only real problem has been the nature of the gForce cards with respect to professional applications. The main issue that I have been experiencing has been that the tool windows will tend to drop out right after they have been initiated. While this is somewhat annoying it’s an easy thing to just move the cursor to bring back the window or click where you think that button should be. So I was relatively hopeful when I discovered this softmod that I would be able to create a better working environment for Inventor.

After having read through all of the entries in this thread I set about seeing if I could apply this mod to the 9800GT’s. I made certain that I had followed all of the leads that were presented; but I too found that I was unable to access the low-level tweaks tab. Not being able to access this tab would seem to indicate that the newer release cards from NVIDIA are not able to take advantage of this softmod to emulate a Quadro. So when I saw that Riva Tuner had come out with a new release yesterday I again became hopeful that this mod might be possible. The new release of Riva Tuner has support for gForce releases 178.xx and 180.xx; but it turned out that the low-level tweaks tab was still unavailable. It would seem that NVIDIA has closed this avenue for modding the gForce cards to emulate the Quadro series.

I have been experimenting with the information that "papi" posted in response #131 of this thread. I basically followed the settings that he had shown and added a couple for the SLI that I had available to me. Inventor has calmed down considerably. I basically am not having the issue with the tool windows dropping out any longer. The pan tilt & zoom functions are performing quite smoothly and the antialiasing is providing a nice high-quality image.

G

Thank you all for the effort you put into this softmod. I am quite pleased with the results that I’ve gotten from the information that all of you provided. I plan on playing with the 3D settings further to see if I can find the optimum combination of parameters for Inventor with these cards in SLI. If there is anyone interested in this let it be known and I will post them here.

G

15. Adrian Wong

Hi emeng,

Any info you can provide would certainly be very helpful to everyone here. :thumb:

16. cenda

cenda Newbie

softmod 9600m gt

hello, my friend bought a notebook and he would like to run solidworks 2009. Is there any way to softmod it? It doesnt work on geforce.
    Thanks

17. Adrian Wong

Hi cenda,

Hate to be rude, but can he at least read the guide and give it a shot? It's a softmod, so it can be easily reversed if it doesn't work out. :thumb:

18. Browser

Browser Newbie

I've just tried this mod on a 9600m gt in my laptop, as with others there is no "low level system settings" option. I tried this with a few different versions of RT and different drivers but no luck:wall:

19. CADmonkey

CADmonkey Newbie

AutoCAD?

Greetings all!

First, thanks to Gen for the work that you put into this, and to Adrian for this excellent site!

I've read through the guide. I've read through the posts.

My department runs AutoCAD2009, and I've been asked to find video card upgrades. I started looking at the (OMG, exPENsive!) Quadro cards, and then I found your guide. Fan-freaking-tastic! I'd really like to look like a hero by finding a wikkid cheap solution.

I saw that a couple of people had mentioned ACAD in the thread, but with no clear answers about compatibility.

Has anyone tested the softmod with ACAD2009? [[this was going to be the praying smilie]]

If so, does it work, and might it work with POWERdraft drivers?

TIA, and keep up the great work!

20. sikorumbe

sikorumbe Newbie

How to use GPU-Z

Hi Guys,
    I'm a noob to this modding thing and I just bought myself Zotac 9800GTX+ and I'm gonna mod them to Quadro.

I was wondering how do you use GPU-Z ? GPU-Z just show the device ID and GPU , etc. I cant seem to find the nv_disp as shown in the soft-guide? I'm confused. Could someone tell me what to do please ?

Thank you in advance :)